Overfiring, alarms sounding - MY FAULT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
I think these things happen just to bring me down a notch. OK, probably well deserved.;hm;hm

It was a wee bit nippy last night, yet again. I spent an hour yesterday loading wood inside from a new lot in the shed. I've been using lots of 20%+/- this year because last year, I was forced to use half of this year's wood allotment. I stuffed the stove as full as I could with the new wood, got it burning, turned down the air and went to bed.

The smoke alarm woke us up at 1 am. Not fun. Fire is roaring, way more than it should be. I checked air control, everything correct. I checked IR gun - yup 600 at the stove to pipe connector on the Equinox. Soapstone was OK but rising. 600 on a soapstone stove is getting up there but not anything to call 911 about. My old VC would get well above that pretty regularly. No need to change underwear, yet.

So what happened?

Smoke alarm was from the paint burning off the stove pipe that was installed over a month ago. I've been burning 24/7 since then and we did get that nasty paint smell for a few hours but nothing like some people report. Well, I guess I hit the magic heat number on the outside of the double wall pipe and the paint is now well cured - at least I hope so. The smell last night was paint and that set the alarm off. No smoke, just paint, but oh, what a horrible smell to go to bed with. The alarm refused to turn off for 15 min. and it's too high to reach without an 8' ladder. Ears are still ringing.

The new lot of wood I brought in yesterday was 2 to 3" rounds and I didn't measure them but it turns out they were extra dry. 4 cu ft of wood that is close to kindling quality makes a very hot fire, no matter what your draft is or who makes your stove.:oops:

Lesson learned. There have been lots of threads about overdraft, poor burning, poor performance. It always seems to come back to proper installation of the stove, good wood and knowing how to use them both.

I will be more careful tonight as I have to be up in the middle of the night to fly south. Vacation time - enough with this frigid weather, I need sun, beach and lots of pina coladas. :):)

Reactions: Ash and Schmev
What was the cause of the overfire, too much air or too much wood? It'd seem a shame not to be able to load it up full.

Wood was too small and too dry to use for an overnight burn. I've posted that lots of times and don't do what I tell others. Air was set as low as possible.

I've never had a problem,knock on wood, and split small. Only a 2.3 ft3 firebox though.
It's more of a concern for a insert like mine, but the fan can remove a lot of heat fast.

At 600F on the stove top and flue it sounds more like a very vigorous burn than an overfire. Overfire usually means getting up into the 900F+ territory. The good news is that your stove pipe paint is now properly baked.

I bet a six hundred degree EQ was tossing a boatload of heat.

Vigorous fire - you are more accurate in terminology than I was. If I wasn't used to seeing the VC much hotter, I would have needed new underwear. I just sat here playing solitaire for an hour and baking/basking in the heat. If the Caribbean this weekend is as hot as my house last night, I will be thrilled.;lol My other concern was IF the smoke detector was picking up something in the ceiling or roof that I could not see. That is why I wanted to babysit it for an hour.

I did read and appreciate the 'Florida Syndrome' article. Thanks for the link. I think after this season is over, I will look to see if I can make any internal adjustments to close the air down a wee bit more than now possible. That article was very enlightening and confirmed what I was suspecting. I'm a control freak and I would like to be able to have more control to allow less air in those rare occasions.

I did read and appreciate the 'Florida Syndrome' article. Thanks for the link. I think after this season is over, I will look to see if I can make any internal adjustments to close the air down a wee bit more than now possible. That article was very enlightening and confirmed what I was suspecting. I'm a control freak and I would like to be able to have more control to allow less air in those rare occasions.

That's quite understandable.

OK, curious now, so what is this "Florida Syndrome". :confused:

It's where old people go to get buffet supper for $5.

It's where old people go to get buffet supper for $5.

Got a great buffet here for six bucks for us old farts. Not enough price difference to finance the move to Florida. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.