Overfiring??? Clydesdale owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

archer292

Jan 3, 2008
LI NY
I have had my insert for about two weeks now. First I had a major problem keeping a fire going which I found to be the green wood I had delivered. Since then I found some dry wood and have been able to keep a good fire burning. I have finally seen what is described as secondaries. I had a good fire with a loaded firebox last night, I boosted things up some due to the drop in temp. I was able to keep the ground floor hovering around 69 degrees. My insert is a clydesdale and I noticed this morning that the back metel strap that holds the soapstone in looks somewhat deformed. I did have splits packed in and I'm sure they were laying against the strap but after researching a little I thought I should ask if i did something wrong. The other two straps on the sides look fine. Does this sound like I over fired or is this somewhat normal as the strap is directly in the fire? I have a thermometer on order and also found my laser which I used this morning. With a first fire of the day, I had the top shelf at over 300 pretty quickly. The fire looked nothing like the one of last night, which is why I am concerned.

I'd have the dealer look at it. Is it white, that is a sign of overfiring. Also, does the stone look OK, if it does then perhaps the plate had a problem in the first place and you just noticed it.

The dealer states it's a common occurrence. I'm not sure if that's true. I question his honesty after the install. When you ask if it's white, do you mean the strap itself or the whole inside of the firebox? The whole inside looks like a light grey which I assumed was just ash. The back strap is not a different color than the rest of the inside, everything looks to be the same.

The strap itself;often times an overfired casting will turn white-ish...
Perhaps it is normal, then replacing it at no cost to you must be normal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.