Overtemp during break in of Jotul 600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went too high during a break-in fire last night. It hit 525ºF on the stovetop corner. Here are the previous break-in fires:

1st burn - 200ºF
2nd Burn 300ºF
3rd Burn 350ºF

Last night 525ºF

I threw too much small wood in, and in the middle of being distracted by dealing with the fire detectors that were blaring from the paint smoke, the temps got away on me. Do you think going to 525ºF might have harmed the new stove when last fire only went to 350ºF?

Jotul recommended not going over 400ºF during break-in.

The paint smell and smoke is no fun. How high should I go next time? I really want get done burning that stuff off.

Looks like most of your earlier fires would have taken the majority of the moisture out. Now its just burning off the paint and , well I dont know what you would call it... De-stressing the cast. I would not sweat it. Carry on. You have done more than what most do. You read the manual. :lol:

That big boy is fine. You didn't hurt it. Time to start normal burns in it. Four fifty to six hundred.

Thanks for the reply guys. I must just be a little nervous, with the expensive (to me) new stove.

I agree there should be no worries. That sounds like you've done a good break in but would check to see what the manufacturer recommends. We did just 3 fires with our stone.

Basically the exact same thing happened to me with my F500. I have had one full bore fire since and didn't notice any issues.

I have an F600, and according to my manual you have properly done the 3 break in steps that are required. Your stove should be ready to go for a solid burn. I would not worry at all.

Hehheh . . . I think you did the same thing that many of us Jotul owners have done . . . and here I thought I was the only one who put too much wood in the Oslo on the final break in fire.

To echo what others have said . . . hakuna matata . . . with this last burn you are golden as the majority of the moisture has been driven out of the cement and things should be golden.

koavt said:
I have an F600, and according to my manual you have properly done the 3 break in steps that are required. Your stove should be ready to go for a solid burn. I would not worry at all.
Yep.. they only call for 3 break ins so the 4th isn't a worry. Fire that SOB up again!

I don't see a problem. 525 is not an over-fire for your 4th fire. Jotul recommends 400-600 as the optimal burn temp for all of their stoves. I run up to 650 on a regular basis, but try to throttle it back into the optimal zone. I have also hit some #'s quite a bit higher on occasion. It happens sometimes. Jotul builds a tough stove so it'll take a little extra heat now and then. Jotul simply states not to let any part of the stove glow red.

Status
Not open for further replies.