owb chimney problems (major)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejr

Oct 10, 2011
wis
3 years ago I purchased a unit and it worked perfect, the next year I put a shed around it and put a chimney on it and thats when the problems began. There is a backdraft so bad I can feel the draft through the fan in the door, this causes the fire to go out. The chimney I put on is the same as what is coiming out the unit, its 8" diameter stainless steel, the pipe I got was a 10' long piece, I welded on a 4" strip on the end and stacked them up. The only way to keep the fire going is to keep the door cracked open a little. After awhile the chimney gets completely blocked with creosote and soot so bad the only way to get it out is with a crowbar from inside the unit. It seems the blockage is where the two pipes meet. Is there air getting in at the seem causing the backdraft or does the chimney need to be higher, its already about a foot below the peak but its about 12' from the peak, I also capped it , no change. Does the chimnet need to be insulated? I am to the point of taking down the chimney, so any help I would appreciate.

The old bricklayers rule (for chimbley height) 2' higher than anything 10' away.
I had a friend that was a good mason, but he still called it a chimbley! Sounds like some more pipe may be in order. The shed's not so tight that its starving for combustion air is it?

Can you temporarily extend your chimney 4 feet or so just to see if it (draft condition) improves? (Stick on a big piece of pipe?). If so, then just extend your chimney with more real chimney. If the only thing that's really changed is having the roof there, it must be affecting draft.

mikejr said:
3 years ago I purchased a unit and it worked perfect, the next year I put a shed around it and put a chimney on it and thats when the problems began. There is a backdraft so bad I can feel the draft through the fan in the door, this causes the fire to go out. The chimney I put on is the same as what is coiming out the unit, its 8" diameter stainless steel, the pipe I got was a 10' long piece, I welded on a 4" strip on the end and stacked them up. The only way to keep the fire going is to keep the door cracked open a little. After awhile the chimney gets completely blocked with creosote and soot so bad the only way to get it out is with a crowbar from inside the unit. It seems the blockage is where the two pipes meet. Is there air getting in at the seem causing the backdraft or does the chimney need to be higher, its already about a foot below the peak but its about 12' from the peak, I also capped it , no change. Does the chimnet need to be insulated? I am to the point of taking down the chimney, so any help I would appreciate.

I think you answered your own question here, Boss. Bolded above. If you don't have enough air available in your shed it's just going to sit there and smolder. Hence your propensity for creosote buildup in the chimney. Open that shed up to let some air in, give your chimney a good cleaning and let 'er rip.

An insulated chimney will reduce the creosote buildup in the pipe and will also increase your draft.
If the connection joint leaks air into the stack the creosote will be worse there.

You are right on with your questions. A higher chimney... yes.. The draft coming over the roof is probably causing a down draft in the area the opening of the is located so gettin the opening of the chimney above the turbulence should eliminate the draft. Insulated chimney... yes... As mentioned above. I had a similar problem with a single walled chimney and pracically eliminated it with a double walled pipe. Air leak at the joint ... yes... Creosote is just basically liquid smoke and warm liquids will condense on cooler surfaces. A well insulated chimney will allow the unit to get closer to the 400*f point which inhibits creosote collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.