OWB Grate or no Grate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Relivinmychildhood

Jul 31, 2021
Wisconsin
What are the Benefits of having a grate versus not having a grate on an outdoor wood burner? I have the option on my outdoor wood burner to delete the grate. it has 2 1/2 inch fire brick on the bottom would that help with wood consumption?

Hi
You should add the details of your burner make model year ect.
That way if anyone has had a similar unit they can help you with thier experiance.

Generally most appliances that have a grate, NEED a grate...but if someone has added it, then you are probably better off without it.
Need your make/model...

Its a modified Hardy H4. I lined bottom with full thickness fire brick. I could modify the draft if deleting grate would be beneficial. It would definitely hold more wood

@E Yoder is somewhat familiar with these I think...

Somewhat familiar.
I doubt you'll see a significant difference. Hardy is a square box with a pipe out the top, about as basic as it gets. They work, just wood hungry.
Removing the grates probably would make it burn a little bit slower. You might have issues with the coals working their way back info the fan. I'd have to see specifically how it's being modified. Be prepared to tweak your design, you rarely get it right the first time.
I could think of several things that would help efficiency more . Main concept is getting the exhaust gasses to contact the water jacket more instead of blowing right out the top hot.

Somewhat familiar.
I doubt you'll see a significant difference. Hardy is a square box with a pipe out the top, about as basic as it gets. They work, just wood hungry.
Removing the grates probably would make it burn a little bit slower. You might have issues with the coals working their way back info the fan. I'd have to see specifically how it's being modified. Be prepared to tweak your design, you rarely get it right the first time.
I could think of several things that would help efficiency more . Main concept is getting the exhaust gasses to contact the water jacket more instead of blowing right out the top hot.
Thank you for responding.
I already added a baffle. The draft would be modified by adding a “C” metal beam against back wall directing air up the back 24” then with an angle welded on top directing air over the top of the fire. Similar to a door mounted draft.
Would dropping a stainless pipe 6” into the fire box help more than the baffle?
Love to hear your suggestions

Its a modified Hardy H4. I lined bottom with full thickness fire brick. I could modify the draft if deleting grate would be beneficial. It would definitely hold more wood
If you DON’T have a grate, won’t you have to let it burn out occasionally, to shovel out the ashes? I’ve got a friend with an old Central Boiler with no grates, and that’s what he has to do.

I’ve got a friend with an old Central Boiler with no grates, and that’s what he has to do.
Why would you need to let it burn out? Just shove the hot coals to the back and start shoveling the ashes out toward the front...

I don't see how hanging pipe inside the firebox would help if it's just suspended in the hot firebox. It doesn't increase heat transfer. ?