P22 Breckwell expanding and retracting during operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gduartes

Jan 2, 2009
Northern CA
My new Breckwell stove makes cracking or popping noises during normal operation. It appears to happen when the flame increases and the stove expands. When the flame decreases and the stove retracts, it makes the noise again. I know this is normal when you first start the stove, but it does it off and on, 24/7. It appears to be coming out of the heat tubes, mainly the left side tubes as you are looking at the stove. It is annoying as h**l and I'm looking for a solution.

Sounds like something may be loose allowing it to flex. Are the upper baffle screws snugged up. Also, inspect and make sure there are not any spot welds that may have broke loose. A broken weld could allow metal that is normally held down to move and flex. Also, are you leaving the heat exchanger tube cleaner at the rear of the stove.

thanks for the info. The heat exhange tubes are to the back, baffles are tight, but I have not checked the welds. I'll do that and hopefully that's the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.