P43 door handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If they’re traditional set screws for use with an Allen wrench, you could try torx bits. One might have a closer fit that would bite better and you could back the screw out. I do that sometimes. If not then an EZ out might work.

When I had to take mine off to install the stainless steel trim kit, I stripped the bottom of the two stacked set screws, it was really frozen in there. I tried penetrating oil, screw extractors, etc, but in the end I had to drill it out. I nearly choked at the cost of a replacement, over $100 since you had to buy a whole new handle kit. I even called and emailed a few places, but I couldn't buy just the pawl part that the set screw screws into. Anyway, I re-tapped the hole to the next size I could find which was 1/4-28 and put in the bigger set screw to save the $100 + dollars for a whole new handle kit. I used a stainless steel setscrew and put anti seize on it. It's seems fine so far, but if it doesn't hold up I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new handle kit.

Ray