P43 "electrical" noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P43pig

Nov 9, 2013
MA
have a p43 that's been running for 4 years or so, every once in a while (maybe once a month??) I catch it making a strange noise...it makes an electrical hum for about 2 secs and then stops. The ups usually clicks so I know it has something to do with it sucking power down. It's usually stops after 2 secs and the stove then continues on it's merry way. I'd say it's the auger trying to feed but getting stuck for what ever reason...long pellets, dirty,etc. Although my stove is very clean, no fines in it, I burn le'cretes or oakies which rarely have long pellets...so I don't know.
Just curious if anyone heard this type of noise and figured it out. I know it's hard without a video but like I said it only does it once in a while...or at least I catch it doing it then. Just curious

I'm thinkin it's the auger motor, or a harmonic that happens when the motor engages.
Keepin an eye on the control board lights when you hear it will tell you if it is.
Let us know.

It will be very hard to catch that, like I said it only does it once in a while and I'd have to be standing over it when it does it to read the lights that fast. I'm almost positive tho it's happening when the auger kicks in tho.

I've had that happen and my theory is that it is related to a very minor power flicker or Brown Out type event. It is just so fast that it doesn't affect anything else. The UPS catches it and the stove senses the power change (sine wave or whatever) and tries to go into shut down mode - alternating the blower - then a nano-second later gets clean power and goes back into the usual run mode. Don't know why it causes the buzz, but I don't worry about it.

Of course that is just a theory. However, when I had the Hastings, the blower would occasionally shut of , then start back up almost instantaneously(and no other things were affected like clocks on appliances) so that is the reason for my theory. I could be totally wrong though.

Power fluctuations can do interesting things. Got up one night because the blower didn't sound right but couldn't find anything wrong. Neighbour verified drop in line voltage at his house too.

Status
Not open for further replies.