P43 shutdown no status light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P43pig

Nov 9, 2013
MA
I've had my new stove running for a few days and all has seemed normal. I have it set at room temp ~78 in auto. It's in a small room so it has been shutting down every now and then and then starts back up once the room temp drops around 3 degrees.
I just returned home to find my stove off and the room temp around 7 degrees lower than it should be. I checked the stove and it was off and there was no status light. I checked the hopper, it was low but not low enough to shutdown, plus I would of had 5 blinks anyways. To troubleshoot I did not touch any of the controls and took can of air and shot the thermocouple tip to force the temp even lower...the stove still did not auto start.
I'm guessing if I turn the mode knob to off it will reset and start back up as normal...but before I do that I want to know why it shutdown and now will not auto start. Any ideas what to check before I reset it?

ESP dirty? It could've gone below the low threshold temp and "assumed" the hopper was empty, thus initiating shutdown.

Any chance you had a power bump or outage? If you turn it to off and back on again and it re-fires, I would try to see if it does it again...

ESP dirty? It could've gone below the low threshold temp and "assumed" the hopper was empty, thus initiating shutdown.
He said no status light and no 5 blinks

I just got a be750g ups yesterday. It been starting and stopping all night on the ups fine, and if was only gone for 2 hours when then stove was unattended...no reason for power to go out in that time either

Doubt the esp is dirty, only been running for 4 days and it's brand new. Plus no code

I just read the UPS's manual, there is really no way of telling if there was a power outage or not. Once power is restored it just shows normal indication lights...there is no latching alarm or anything. So maybe power did go out.
Or, there are different outlets on the ups...master,controlled by master, surge, battery backup + surge...I have the stove plugged into " batt backup+surge protect"...maybe that has something to do with the sensing of the stove's board.
I guess I'll start the stove and do an experiment by pulling the ups plug for a second to see how the stove goes into a loss of power shutdown.
Would be nice if harman would answer my email I sent a week ago asking this very question

Yer not gonna get a 5 blink when the hopper runs dry. Its not a low fuel light ;)

Seeing the stove is so new, I also doubt it's a dirty ESP, but I still think it's a possibility.

Hopper gasket sealing properly?

Yer not gonna get a 5 blink when the hopper runs dry. Its not a low fuel light ;)

Seeing the stove is so new, I also doubt it's a dirty ESP, but I still think it's a possibility.

Hopper gasket sealing properly?

When it ran dry the other day I got 5 blinks. No pellets = no light. No light in 36 mins = 5 blinks

i had the same thing happen to me a week ago...no status lights...running the same ups as you...
however my burn pot was full of unburnt pellets...i unplugged it replugged it and it took off....then when it shut down scrapped the chit out of the burn pot and cleaned out
under the ignitor....no problem since...

When it ran dry the other day I got 5 blinks. No pellets = no light. No light in 36 mins = 5 blinks
Missed the "Auto" part. My bad.

My UPS will be in tomorrow. Hopefully this isn't a common issue, though I rarely have mine in Auto.

Just doesn't make sense that if it shut down (via eps, dirty pot, low fuel, etc) and refuses to start it should throw a code...period. If if it doesn't by design well that is just plain STUPID.

Stove is running now, I'll run my ups test soon

I'm a bit confused about when this happened before or after you added the ups?

Can you describe the humidity level in the house at the time the stove failed and are there any pets?

Was the stove on any surge protector when the stove failed?

Is the circuit the stove is on protected by a GFI or AFI?

If the controller gets spaced out it can't throw anything.

I'm a bit confused about when this happened before or after you added the ups?

Can you describe the humidity level in the house at the time the stove failed and are there any pets?

Was the stove on any surge protector when the stove failed?

Is the circuit the stove is on protected by a GFI or AFI?

If the controller gets spaced out it can't throw anything.
After ups
22%
Pets yes
Surge is built into ups
Pretty sure stove plug is on afi.

I think I figured it out tho...
I scooped the pellets away from the hopper feed to simulate low fuel. Stove shutdown and it. did not throw a code...reset normal. Same scenario that happen originally

Strange. The stove should not shut down on low fuel.... only no fuel

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Fuel bridging?

Yes he will...after 36 minutes of no restart.

Maybe this is due to Harman's discontinued use of the hopper switch? Some sort of different parameter somewhere in the works? Just throwin it out there.

pellet bridge in the hopper......

My P-43 has done the same thing on a few occasions. It turned out to be the pellets I was using. They would bridge in the hopper (kind of like pixie sticks when you dump them on a table.) The bridge would prevent pellets from entering into the auger and thus with no fuel, the stove would quit running. I switched from American Wood Fiber to Somersets and Country Boy pellets and have not had the problem since. This problem never happens to my Accentra insert, only to the P-43

The way I know that it was a bridging problem is I would stick my hand into the hopper and stir or mix the pellets up. I would immediately begin to hear pellets dropping into the auger. The stove was not running when I would do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.