Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 black enamel porcelain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman467

Aug 6, 2010
Centerville, Tennessee
Has anyone out there got one of the Alderlea T5 in the new black porcelain option? I'm thinking about ordering one. I've heard good things about this stove. If you own this stove I would appreciate any opinions on quality, heat, ease of use, etc. I was first considering the Jotul F600 Firelight, but now I think I'm ready to get this PE T5. The viewing window seems very big and unobstructed. Thanks.

A lot of people don't hang around the forum in the summer. You might get better results by searching on the T5 and sending a PM to owners of the stove. A PM sends them an email alerting them that they have a message here.

I have the cast iron t5. This will be my second season with it. The glass front offers great viewing, and stays very clean. When the secondaries kick in it really gets cool looking. in terms of ease of use it is pretty simple. I like the slide lever a lot for air control, it is very smooth.
I burn pine exclusively, once you hit around 400 degrees you can pretty much close the air all the way down and it will power its way to around 600-650 and hang there without any attention. I heat my 1400 sq ft trilevel built in 1989 here in Colorado. I do not have a blower and frankly would only need it when the temps are sub zero. The heat is very nice. Not harsh, very mellow and comfortable heat. You can easily get an overnight burn with plenty of coals for a restart. The cast iron holds heat very well.

It burns VERY clean - just a little smoke on startup (my neighbors often ask why I don't use the stove more...but I burnt 24/7 last year). I swept the pipe twice last year and got very little buildup.

"I burn pine exclusively"

Not to change the subject, but over the years, I have walked by many a pine tree to get to an oak or locust tree - even if it meant carrying the wood a long way to the truck, but after reading comments like yours along with these efficient/clean burning stoves, I think I am going to give pine and some other softer wood a try - to save the wear and tear on my body!

The PE Alderlea 'T' model stoves are very nice looking stoves.

Good luck,
Bill

I spoke to a dealer about the T5 or T6. He said that a lot of people make a mistake and buy a stove that is too big for the space they are heating. He said that for my situation, a great room that is about 560 sq ft, a kitchen dining area that is about 300 sq ft that are all open and connected, he would go with the T5. I also have a florida room that is 220 sq ft that is off my great room and is open to it, it is living area. I also have two bedrooms, but they are both behind walls and through door. He said you don't want to be sitting in a room where a stove that is too large is putting out too much heat to stand it. A lot of people on here say to go with the biggest and then build a smaller fire, but can't you over do it sometimes?

Hows your insulation and windows? For your climate with a newer tight house I'd say the T-5 should be fine for that amount of sq ft. If you live in a sieve you may want the bigger stove.

My house was built in 2000, so it has double pane windows and good attic insulation. I think that the T5 is probably the way to go. I am thinking about the black porcelain enamel version, maybe easier upkeep over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.