Pacific Energy fp-30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfast250

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2013
Missouri
First of all thank you to everyone on this site for the wealth of knowledge you share!

I am researching a zero clearance fireplace to replace my open zc heatilator. I plan to do a full demo and new class A. The fireplace is on the main floor of a single story 2100 sq feet ranch with a walkout basement. I am looking to supplement my electric heat pump/furnace. I have been scrounging wood when I can and have 2 cords css since November 2015. I plan to do the replacement in spring/summer of 2017.

I am sure I will have more questions on the install at some point, but for now I have some questions on the fireplace. I was looking at the Kozy Heat z42 and the Pacific Energy fp-30. My wife likes the looks of the fp-30 arch model so we are looking at the fp-30 arch. I have a few questions that I wasn't able to find definitive answers to:

1. Does the fp-30 accept north-south loading? If so, will16-18" logs be ok?
2. Will I be able to sweep the chimney from the bottom? Anything worth noting? I found a great thread from hogwildz on the summit insert which should apply to the fp-30, correct?
3. The manual shows the remote heat duct kit contains blowers. It also lists a gravity heat duct adapter. I am looking to add two gravity heat ducts to the back wall of the fireplace as this is the hallway that leads to bedrooms. Any concerns with this if I use class B venting? Think the gravity vents will put out any heat or is this a waste?

Anyone else have any thoughts on the fp-30? I have read nothing but positive feedback on here on the few folks with the fp-30 or the summit insert.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hello. The FP-30 arched is a gorgeous unit and I'm sure you'll love it. I've read nothing but positive comments from others.

I would guess you're probably not going to be able to arrange an 18-inch log north / south as most ZC units are wider than they are deep and rather shallow in depth - this is just a generalization.

I've read hundreds of ZC posts and the vast majority who opt for the heat ducting say they would not go that route if doing it over again. Reasons being: the air flow is weak at best, added costs, and additional installation challenges. Member named 'Iron' used ducting with his Northstar ZC and is now considering taking the ducting out. That being said, the FP-30's system could be different / better. Again, this is a general observation.

Good luck with your ZC search and let us know what you decide.

Matt

Based on the firebrick pattern it looks like the FP30 firebox is about 22" wide and 16.5" deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.