Pacific Energy stove question -- Israel...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its not spec, but I think it should be okay -- even though the wall is drywall, I think the distance is enough to not worry about the paper/cardboard sheathing combusting - and as far as I know the gypsum itself is non-combustible, and there there is absolutely no wood studding or framing behind -- that's all metal ... and the floor is granite porcelain tile, plus the base under the stove is 15 cm thick dolomite copping stones from demolition of a very old building in Jersualem - so nothing combustible there ... where the flue hits the wood ceiling and through to above the roof is a double walled fully insulated sleeve that was custom fabricated for the job, and the transition to class A flue takes place a good 25 cm before it even approaches that sleeve, so everything up above looks good -- so no shortcuts there ... I spoke to both the installer and the stove dealer this morning and both felt 100% about the situation -- and overall they have seemed trustworthy to me ...

Sounds like the installer feels he knows more than the manufacturer or the testing labs. I could see being an inch closer, but not 1/3d of the mfg's tested clearance. Clearances are established for extraordinary circumstances like a chimney fire or an air control left open accidentally, not the ordinary temps.

I agree. Clearances aren't there because you're going to instantly burn your place down because you're within them. But they are there because they are the tested and proven clearances required in order to not burn your house down given the worst case scenario, presumably a chimney fire.

Code and clearances are not questionable. It either meets it or it doesn't. Simple. Just because someone 'feels good, ok, confident" about not meeting it. Means nothing.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I'm a big fan of the PE summit as I have one myself. You are really going to want to look that over I think. This stove gets hot. IMG_0646.JPG

I hear ya'll -- I guess at this point what I can do is keep an eye on the temps of the drywall behind the stove once we really get into season - and put a heat shield behind the stove and or flue ... I think that the installer will take responsibility if I can demonstrate a problem, but not before ... At this point I'm not sure what else to do, given that I'd rather not make another hole in my roof if I can at all avoid it ...

Hi,
As for the material of the Israeli wall,my guess is that it is a non combustible wall.
The gypsum or drywall in Isreael is not the same type as in US/Canada. This is probably why the installer certified the installation.

The OP mentioned that the drywall has "paper/cardboard sheathing". Sounds combustible and similar to drywall I'm familiar with. Could you expound on the specific differences in the construction/materials used for drywall in Israel?

An offset using a pair of 45's at the ceiling support could be added. That would bump out the stove about 6".

Status
Not open for further replies.