Pacific Energy T5 Smoky Start-Up Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

durutti123

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Hilltowns of Western Mass
I installed a year old T5 (hoping to post a write-up and photos later) about a week ago, and up to this point no issues, and really like the stove. With the stove, I installed Selkirk DSP double wall piping. Everything has been fine for for the first week, but yesterday I began to notice something that I can't figure out. When I would load wood or even open the door to rake the coals forward, flames would come out and up the lip of the door. Didn't think a whole lot about it. Today, we actually let the fire die down really good to clear the ash out. When I went to restart the fire, I couldn't really get much draft, and thus it was very smoky, much more so than the first time I started the fire from scratch. And I am again seeing the flames come out over the lip when adding wood. I cannot think of why it is acting this way, and hoped someone might have a suggestion. Oh, we had the chimney swept in November, if that helps any. Thank in advance.

Rick

whats the setup look like? how tall the chimney, tight the house? whats the weather been doing outside?

If I understand you have not made many cold start ups. The problem there could just be your technique. When you start a fire from scratch do not put to much wood in the stove. There are many ways to start and you will find your favorite but for now just use a couple of splits set in NS about 4" apart then put crumpled paper between the splits. Then cross the splits with lots of kindling. When you light the paper you should get enough flame to start a good draft. You might have to leave the door cracked open an inch or so until the fire takes off. It all depends on your chimney setup.
As far as flames coming out the door as you try to load just leave the air open all the way until you see the fire is burning strong and the chimney is drafting strong. Then open the door slowly and add your wood. You might be adding wood before the fire has died enough so wait for coaling stage if you can.

First thing I'd be checking is to make sure the cap & top of the liner are not clogged.
If that is found to be the problem, wood is not dry enough, &/or not burning hot enough.

+1 to Hog's analysis, and as suggested, please describe the rest of your setup (total chimney height, any offsets/elbows, etc.). You'd be amazed how often people have a clogged cap or some creosote buildup and go from easy fires to difficult and smoky startups in what seems like a matter of days. Are you able to get up on the roof and check your cap and flue easily?

I also experience the same phenomina with my T5 from time to time on a true cold start-up. It isn't a ton of smoke, and it doesn't last for very long. I have found as stated in an earlier post that if you use small fine kindling it minimizes the smoke. If you are burning your stove good and hot your cap shouldn't be clogged. My T5 produces a very small amount buildup, but a quick inspection wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.