Pacific Energy's EBT Technology

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig, all the old thermostatically controlled woodstoves I can remember used the bimetallic coil to open and close the primary air supply. From my sweeping days, I can tell you these tended to form a LOT of creosote, as they would smolder the fire in pulses throughout the duration of the burn. The beauty (and maybe the patentability) of the EBT technology is that it controls a secondary air intake, not the primary air control. It actually prevents the smokey, smoldering fire that so many of the old thermostat stoves created.

Does the input hole for the EBT feed air to the fire, the secondary burn chamber, or to both? Does it just feed into the same input air system as the manual air control?

Frank, I think what Tom is saying is that the EBT helps extend burn time, mainly by being closed. It lets the main air intake be turned down very low (which of course extends burn time). When the fire cools down, the secondary burn chamber won't ignite (and won't meet EPA standards), so more air needs to be added to increase the burn for a short time. The EBT opens and adds more air (for a relatively short time)and does increase burn time (only for the short time that the EBT is open for) to bring the temperature back up. But once the temperature is up high enough, it closes, allowing air to be drawn from the main air intake which the user has turned down very low. At this point the stove can burn for a while (until it gets too cool again), dumping heat into the house, while using little air (and thus extending the burn time).

Without the EBT device, the main air intake would need to be left at a more open setting (which would be set by the way it was manufactured) to keep the smoke ignited in the secondary burn chamber. This more open setting would cause a longer burn time overall. The EBT lets the stove have a small amount of air let in most of the time, allowing for an overall extended burn with short bursts of increased air (and therefore increased burn time).

I don't own a PE stove (let alone an EPA approved stove - I'm working on that) so I haven't observed the EBT in action. However, this is what makes sense to me and I'm a Mechanical Engineer who, while in college, got an "A" in Thermodynamics :)

thechimneysweep said:
Craig, all the old thermostatically controlled woodstoves I can remember used the bimetallic coil to open and close the primary air supply. From my sweeping days, I can tell you these tended to form a LOT of creosote, as they would smolder the fire in pulses throughout the duration of the burn. The beauty (and maybe the patentability) of the EBT technology is that it controls a secondary air intake, not the primary air control. It actually prevents the smokey, smoldering fire that so many of the old thermostat stoves created.

Doesn't the defiant encore have a bimetal secondary air flap?

I'm somewhat familiar with the old Ashleys and stuff - yes, they mostly regulated ALL air...both primary and secondary.

BUT, after a number of visits to Good Time Stove Company and hearing from Richard there about the thousands of models that were made about 100 years ago (I think it was the 2nd or 3rd largest industry in the USA!), I'm just speculating that some of this stuff has been thought of.

For instance, since Coal stoves always like a little secondard air, I'd bet some early models had something of the sort....

Then again, it's always possible no one thought of it - but more likely that no one thought to patent it in it's modern context (ala EPA).

I think there is one key part of burning that hasn't really been addressed yet. There are basically two phases of the burn...well three if you really want to go into detail.

Assuming the stove is already up to temp and you throw in additional wood

Phase one is a lot of volitile compounds coming off of the relatively cool new wood. Lots of smoke that needs to be burnt in the secondary or tertiary flames. This is where I (and I'm sure others with secondary air supply stoves) see the largest amount of secondary flames.

Phase two, the wood is starting to heat up on the outside. The smoke coming off is vastly reduced because the wood surface is hot and helping to burn some of the volitile compounds right on the wood surface. The secondary flames start to taper off at this point.

Phase three, the wood is completely combusting and mainly reduced to glowing coals. At this stage the surface of the wood is glowing orange, all the volitiles are gone and secondary air doesn't seem to be needed any more. I have never seen secondary flames above a bed of glowing coals...anyone else?

I suspect that if the EBT is set up correctly, this is the phase where it would kick in...when the stove cools and all that is left is a bed of glowing coals. At this point, there is little smoke, little need for secondary air and cutting down the primary air further will help preserve the coals longer. But cutting down the air to the coals doesn't really produce anymore smoke, it just slows the burn rate. If the stove is re-stoked, the added heat would open the EBT flap allowing more air and a cleaner burn.

Just throwing out some thoughts here...If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will say so!

Corey

EBT ARE FOUND ONLY ON PE SUMMIT STOVE.On this stove the air for the secondary burn chamber is a fix preset air supply.The air for the primary air chamber is provided by the hole of the manual draft control and by an other hole(only 1 inche in diameter) on the ebt system.The ebt coil react to the heat of the bottom plate of the stove.It open when it sense a good amount of heat at the bottom plate. Even if you have 400 deg.f. on the thermostat in the flue at lighting it will stay closed until the bottom plate get hot.If you want to see what it looks like, i have attach pictures of the system on my stove.The hole on the left is the manual air control and the small hole on the right is the ebt hole.

Attachments

• Img_1437.jpg
    Img_1437.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 560
Wow i think i understand how it works i am going to buy the summit classic in the fall cant wait for tose long 10 hour burns.

Praise god!

The Cat Vc stoves Intrepid, Encore, and Defiant, has had this technology since 1986. The secondary burn air thermostatically
Controlled with a spring device. When it gets hot it closes the amount of secondary air when it cools it opens to help substain a higher temp Coupled with the cat lighting off more heat is captured and longer controled burn times PE borrowed this technology from VC

Elk, you are in luck... the wait is over. You can now get a real job with the Vermont Castings marketing department: :lol:

Vermont Castings Jobs

CFM CORPORATION
Marketing Assistant - Summer Contract

Job Category: Marketing
Company URL: http://www.cfmcorp.com
Number Of Positions: 1
Date Posted: May 15, 2006

Today's CFM

For over 50 years, CFM has been famous for creating among the most popular and sought-after fireplaces, stoves and grills in the world. Today, with our Vermont Castings and Majestic Fireplace Brands, we are rekindling our dedication to our retailers and customers. With distinctive and innovative new products that will redefine the category. With aggressive dealer programs that will spark new opportunities. And with product and service enhancements that exceed all expectations. With the power of Teacher’s Private Capital, the private equity arm of the 88 billion dollar (Cdn) Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, CFM is now geared for innovation, aggressive growth and leadership in our chosen industries.

Our Vision: "To be a leading home products manufacturing company that is recognized for market leading products of the highest quality and leading-edge technology.
At CFM, we make the products that you value most in your home, through world class people and processes."

CFM is a leading manufacturer of home products and accessories in North America and the United Kingdom. We design, develop, manufacture and distribute hearth and heating products and outdoor grills.

Duties will include the following:

Daily:
1) Open mail and sort re: departmental programs and pre-screen to determine eligibility
2) Scrutinize all claims submitted and issue appropriate requests for credit
3) Ensure daily maintenance of accruals
4) Deal directly with customer inquiries

Weekly:
1) Enter and process all claims returned to department by the Credit Dept and then file them
2) Update the customer item master with new products as necessary
3) Compose letters to customers as necessary

Pacifc energy had the first glass air wash , first floating firebox, first ash removal system.

As for ebt it has its onw pat, and is different then the vermnot cat stoves.

Elk is old school!

If I had time I could point out how Vc practically engineered the industry and changed it
Their former engineers work at Harman ect. But as I said no time The links becond me so I will soon be enjoying some golf
Is it still old scchool to be able to shoot even par? Did that last Wed. Par 35 Grant it its not pebbble beach or wingsfoot or Agusta but still fun to be able to compete

Mike Wilson said:
Elk, you are in luck... the wait is over. You can now get a real job with the Vermont Castings marketing department: :lol:

CFM is a leading manufacturer of home products and accessories in North America and the United Kingdom. We design, develop, manufacture and distribute hearth and heating products and outdoor grills.

Duties will include the following:

Daily:
1) Open mail and sort re: departmental programs and pre-screen to determine eligibility

glorified mail clerk. No thanks, my first coop job from Northeastern U was Assistant office manager, Minium wage about $75 per week for Deran Confectonary (Thin mints). What the job really was,, office wipping boy to the office mgr and mail clerk
Been there done that never again

2) Scrutinize all claims submitted and issue appropriate requests for credit
3) Ensure daily maintenance of accruals
4) Deal directly with customer inquiries

When I clean my stove out completely in the spring, I will probably remove the EBT module, and place it in the oven, to see what temps it opens and closes at.
Sombody PM me in May to remind me to do that!....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.