Pacific western mod. 34 leaking and FIX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronintank

Nov 29, 2008
michigan
I have a Pacific western mod 34 outdoor woor furnace.
I installed it 6 years ago and have used it year round for hot water and heat in the winter.
Well wed. 11/26/08 in the evening i went to fill it with wood i opened the door to see water running from the water jacket into the burn chamber.
The day before thanksgiving is a bad day for a leak.
So thanksgiving day i am out there cleaning out the unit trying to find the leak and see if it can be fixed.
After some cleaning i found the leak.
This unit has a exhaust control rod that when pulled out it diverts the smoke go up thru the back so you dont get so much smoke rolling out the door when filling it with wood.
Well this rod runs thru a welded pipe in the water jacket.
This pipe split on the pipes weld seam in the water jacket area and allowed the water into the burn chamber.
Friday when the stores opened i went to town and purchased a 3/4 dia bolt 7 inched long a couple flat washers and a nut also fron the auto parts i bought a pc. of automotive exhaust gasket material.
i cut the exhaust divirter rod off and pushed the diverter to the back of the stove.
I cut round gaskets from the exhasut gasket material put the gaskets on the 3/4 dia. bolt installed the bolt thru the exhaust rod pipe and capped the other end with another gasket and a nut.
I thghtened the nut and the leak is gone.
So i am back up and running and get a face full of smoke some times when filling the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.