1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Packed or Aircooled Flu?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Coog, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Coog

Coog Member

Loc:
    North West Illinois
    Okay so I purchased the unit and am waiting for it to come in. I still need to make the call on the stack.

Bought a Quad 7100, which allows for the air-cooled or the Duraplus insulated pipe. The pricing is drastically different between the two; like $1,000 vs $2,000. Of course this is 8" pipe which is ridiculously expensive. I have always gathered that insulated pipe is better and recommended for colder climates, which I am on the border beings I am in NW Illinois. Also, the air-cooled pipe requires an air-cooled kit (which comes with the unit). Not found of that idea.

Should I just swallow hard and get the packed pipe?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

If the pipe will be exposed outside go with the insulated pipe. So if you are just planning on penetrating the chimney pipe thru the roof, use the Class A. If it is in a insulated chase all the way you could use the air cooled pipe.
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    ... or if in an existing chimney, use a blanket-wrapped flex liner.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    How tall will the flue be? If single-story definitely go with the insulated pipe. Same if this is in an uninsulated exterior chase. Aw heck, just do it. It will be one less thing to replace if you decide to update the fireplace 10 yrs down the road.
  5. Coog

Coog Member

Loc:
    North West Illinois
    There is about 12' of stack to the roof line; 7' in an insulated chase and 4' exposed in the attic. Another 2'-3' oabove the roof. The whole stack is straight up, no elbows.
  6. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    I have 6ft of blackpipe and 13ft of class a, the class a is exposed for almost 8ft. No issues with draft. Class a is going to be insulated to someone extent by the air space between the layers.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'd be going with Class A either way you slice it. Nice having that layer of insulation in the pipe.......just my two cents.

Merry Christmas!
  8. Coog

Coog Member

Loc:
    North West Illinois

Ya. I think I will go with the insulated pipe. I have a short straight stack. I really do not like the air cooled kit. Seems like I should need insulated pipe if I need an air cool kit.

Hey, if I replaced my fireplace some day with a unit that requires 6" or 7" pipe, is it okay to reduce and keep the 8". Has anyone done this?
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

It's OK to reduce the pipe down, but you shouldn't reduce the stove down. Only trouble is when you have a 6" stove tying into an 8" flue, sometimes you have reduced draft issues......
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    For sure go with insulated. The fireplace requires a minimum of 13ft, but go taller if at all possible. It may be possible to adapt later, but this really depends on the unit's requirements.
    ScotO likes this.
  11. Coog

Coog Member

Loc:
    North West Illinois
    Plan to go with the insulated pipe. Thanks all for the input. I will post pics once the unit is installed; hopefully by the end of January.

By the way Scotty, your picture avatar is gorgeous; quite the set up. Good work. I think that if you go to work of installing a stove, fireplace or freestanding, one should at least try to make it look good. Ours is the focal point of our entire house.