1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Paint Burn in advice...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by David Tackett, Nov 20, 2012.

1. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    I am painting the Buck 91 I bought today. Is it best to build a fire in it now, while I have it outside and cure the paint before I take it in the house, or is this too risky too do?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BurnIt13

BurnIt13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    I doubt you'd be able to get a descent fire going in there without a chimney attached. You'd basically have zero draft. Leaving the door open to create a hotter fire might or might not be a good idea. It would be very difficult to regulate the temps I imagine.

Plus, you are really going to cure the paint when its 600F+ for a prolonged period of time. I doubt you'd be able to do that in your driveway unless you had 12+ft of stovepipe/chimney pipe lying around.

I say put it in your house and put a couple of the biggest window fans you have in the windows closest to the stove. Put them on high to suck the stinky air out of your house. Leave a couple windows open in the furthest reaches of the house to provide fresh air.

Thats what I did. It worked. Still smelt a little but not as bad as it would have otherwise.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yes - fire it up while it is outside. A couple of sections of cheap heating duct can be used for a temp stack. As always - be safe. The heating duct will be galvanized. Stay away from the smoke if any gets off gassed.
  4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    My vogelzang was awful! actually smoked up the house. I just did it on a day where it was in the mid 60s and had a fan in a window to suck the stink out.
  5. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    Oh, I am going to put pipe on it for a stack. After I spray the stove paint on, how long should I wait before I fire it up? Hour, couple hours, next day etc...
  6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I think you could just let it get dry to the touch, then build a small fire with a few kindling pieces to cure the paint gradually. Then build a hotter fire so that you won't get additional fumes when burning it hot in the house.
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Look at the can. I think it suggests 24 hours.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

I'd go for the 24 hours and if you can't keep it that long, just burn 2 12 hour fires.