Paint flaking on stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grommal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2009
Eastern PA
Anybody ever have all the paint flake off single wall stovepipe?

My install was new in the spring. Very short pipe run consisting of two elbows and a short straight section. All the paint has now flaked off both elbows, perfectly cleanly. Not a trace of paint left on them. The straight section is in perfect shape, though. Must have been defective or wrong type of paint, I'm guessing.

The pipes never got particularly hot, though I don't run with a pipe thermometer. Stovetop has never been over 600F yet, and the pipe has always been cooler than that when judged by holding my hand near it.

What brand pipe? Was there any stickers on it? For a while we sold American Metal brand black pipe. The paint would flake off of it almost right away. It got to the point where American Metal stopped making that line of black pipe. We switched to Heat Fab black pipe (Made by the same parent company) and have had much better results.

Franks said:
What brand pipe? Was there any stickers on it? For a while we sold American Metal brand black pipe. The paint would flake off of it almost right away. It got to the point where American Metal stopped making that line of black pipe. We switched to Heat Fab black pipe (Made by the same parent company) and have had much better results.
Don't know. I remember there were some generic-looking white stickers with UPC codes on them, but I don't remember if they said anything else. The single-wall pipe for my last stove still looked like new on the outside after 23 years of burning, so this was quite a shocker. I presume I can just repaint it with some flat black StoveBrite after the burning season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.