Paint flaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jvandermark

Nov 29, 2019
Ohio
I had a new Regency HI2450 installed earlier this year so it hasn’t got much use until recently. Tonight I noticed the paint flaking on both sides. Is this normal if not what could cause it and what should I do about it?
Thanks
F2E02C7D-9E59-48A1-823C-B936A8E5BACB.jpeg

Where on the stove is this? Back up a bit to show what part of the stove this is?

Is it on the inside?

If it’s inside the stove-Possibly a dumb question on my part-is that actually paint or perhaps just soot/buildup flaking off?

Reactions: stoveliker
If this is on the inside of the stove: there should be no paint there. This seems like the creosote on the inside of my stove.
I don't know yours, but you might (might b/c stoves are not the same) be making creosote inside AND outside (i.e. in the flue) of your stove.
I think your stove does not have a catalytic converter (?), so all that is made there in the stove may be making it up to the chimney as well.

If I am correct, you may be burning too (s)low?

@begreen has given good advice on here. Maybe he knows?