paint the fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonhunter

Burning Hunk
Apr 16, 2012
newbrunswick canada
I ordered a PE insert and Im thinking i want to paint the red bricks around the fireplace. Just wondering if this is safe to do or not? I know lots of people paint the bricks but I assumed they only do that if the fireplace doesnt get used

I don't think it's (the paint) a big problem. I (personally) don't really understand why you would want to do it...but of course, I don't need to understand it. I do know that once you do it, if you ever change your mind, it's an absolute nightmare to try to undo. Can you imagine sandblasting the thing? My questionable counsel would be to think about it for a bit longer before you lay brush to brick. You may not always own this brick. Moving this over into the DIY forum, since that's really what we're talking about here. Rick

original.jpg
This is not my fireplace but the before is the same color bricks as in my fireplace and I really dont like that color Im thinking I would like to try and make it look like the after picture. I would really like to replace the bricks with a natural stone material but its not in the budget at this time. Still cant decide if I should paint or not

No, no, no. Do not paint the brick. Simply wait until you have the funds to install a natural stone material like you wish.

I opted to tile over the brick, instead of painting. Quite easy to swap it out if you want to.

Before
a.jpg

Pre insert. We took this tile off before the PE was installed

IMG_0034.jpg

PE installed

sept093.jpg

Post PE ... still working on the heatalator vents, which still work.(best pic I have of it, at the moment)

Newrug2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.