Painting Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
Just found a beauty. Hardly used Regency R14. Just have to paint her up and put her in.
1. Suggestions on best stove paint (spray)to buy. Gonna be painting it dark brown.
2. How should I prep surface? (steel wool or sand paper)? Will be painting it in my garage.
3. Also want to paint over brass door frame. (I know some of you prob want to shoot me for this) Can i do this....if so how.
4. What sheen works bests & lasts longest on stoves (flat, satin, gloss)?
Thanks alot I love this site. Will post pics after i'm done!!!

Melikefire1, I used Rustoleum High Temperature paint on my Dutchwest Consolidated. I cleaned it very well and gave it 3 coats and it came out great. I purchased mine at Home Depot. Just be sure that if you are painting it indoors you open all of the windows. That stuff will get you high. And expect it to smell and smoke the first few fires. Burn small fires until the paint gets good and cooked on her. Not sure about the Brass part, I did sandblast it to get rid of most of the old paint. I also used fine brillo to get it nice smooth. It was a big job, but it was well worth it.
Happy Burning!!

Flat or satin, your choice. Stove Brite paint is used by several stove makers. It really needs to be done in a well-ventilated space and with a mask. The stuff will rot brain cells. But it is tough and does work. Kat's suggestions are good, but use steel wool, not Brillo, no soap needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.