Pallet Wood for Fireview?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akennyd

Aug 19, 2009
North Carolina
Any fireview owners burn pallet wood in their fireview?

If you have, what has been your experience? Any damage to converter?

Thanks,

Kenny

John 3:16,17

Kenny, I don't but you could. However, I'd be a little worried about overheating. If using pallet wood it is probably best to use only half loads and/or mix with some other wood.

I'd highly recommend for you if you could find some ash to cut. That has a very short time for seasoning. Cherry is also good. Soft maple also seasons fairly fast.

In short, get what wood you can as quickly as you can so you will be ready when the stove is installed. Don't try to short-cut the fuel process as that is just as important as the stove; maybe even more so.

If you don't get good dry wood, then you will have to be very diligent with the stove to make sure you get all the moisture cooked off before engaging the cat as the cat does not like moisture. So do try to get some good fuel. The stove will like it better and you will love it.

I cut a small black cherry tree a couple of weeks ago and split it into small splits. Already have a moisture meter so I will check it as time goes by. Also cut a small-med sized pine down last week and am splitting it into smallish sized splits. (I'm waiting for my uncle to tell me that I shouldn't burn pine in a stove, he grew up in a house heated ONLY with an old fashioned wood stove.) Also have some oak (red I think) that I've cut and split but I've heard how long that takes to season so I know that's a no-go for this winter.

I plan on being VERY careful with my stove and the wood that I burn in it as it is a VERY LARGE investment for me.

Kenny <>{

Status
Not open for further replies.