paranoid dork here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whatyousmokin

Oct 10, 2021
Maybe a totally idiotic question but here goes: I am storing 2-3 day supply of firewood indoors in my mudroom in a galvanized steel tub. Any chance zinc coating will flake off ,scratch off or somehow transfer to splits that I am using for burning in my brand new cat stove?

I'd avoid plastic baskets; they are not likely to hold up long with heavy splits needing very careful placement, and it's plastic, made of oil.

I'll tell my plastic basket that I have been using for years that he is past due for retirement. Then I will get a metal tub and start scratching the hell out of the floor. When I am done with that, I will run out and drain the crankcases on the excavator, the tractor and the truck because the are full of oil. I will also quit brushing my teeth, since the bristles are made from oil. Perhaps I will just start chewing on twigs.

Maybe I should rethink the use of the metal tub, since I am fairly certain oil was used sometime during its production. In an effort to save the planet, I'll just freeze to death this winter rather than use the chainsaw or get groceries in the truck since it won't run now that I have drained the oil out.

Can you line the metal tub with a tarp or something so the wood doesn't touch the metal?

You be surprised how much zinc comes off the trash cans (zinc) that I use for my birdies (pigeons) and had to line them with plastic trash bags just to keep my pigeons healthy because the zinc would rub off on their dry seed food from the zinc trash cans...I would get another type of container to hold the wood, maybe a steel bookcase or something or build one out of wood if its far enough away from the stove... old mrs clancey

I have been using a Rubbermaid 18 gallon storage container for many years to haul and hold wood for a Palladian cat stove with no problems.

Reactions: MissMac
and the rubbermaid plastic tubs come with covers. good for dirt and bugs to stay in.

I love Rubbermaids in anything and used to go to small rubbermaid parties years ago..I have two of their small dust pans and love them...clancey

All my wood storage stuff is made out of wood/concrete blocks. Keep it simple!

You sound like a paranoid dork.

You sound like a paranoid dork.
He is just asking. The catalysts are expensive and somewhat sensitive. People go on and on, even about burning a piece of mail on treated paper. People are condemned for using anything other than divinely inspired wood. He reads these things. It is understandable.

It's not like he got on here and said, "DANGER! NOBODY USE GALVANIZED BUCKETS!"

Meanwhile, some people on Hearth are convinced that even looking at an old chimney with an impure thought will burn down the house, kill the entire family, and bring about apocalypse.

Which are more paranoid?

Reactions: whatyousmokin
I wouldn't be too worried, but if you are, then build it out of wood. Near our wood stove is a wood box made out of plywood and 1x2" corners. It's held up for 30+ years now and takes all kinds of abuse.

Single wall galvanized stove pipe connected to wood stove.....yeah...not good.

Wood in a galvanized tube? No worries.

Reactions: bholler