Part 2 i.d.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
A little better pictures of my most recent 'mystery wood'. I had some replies in my previous post but they weren't as good as these pictures.

Anyone want to take another guess? This piece was a part of the 'twisted' trunk, but the rest of the tree was not like this.

100_0274.jpg

100_0272.jpg

100_0270.jpg

Ash

Cool! I knew I hadn't had this type of wood before so I was at a loss.

That 'pinhole' comment will really help me i.d. in the future.

Thanks! :)

We love ash over here.

Easy to split, drys pretty fast, burns hot.

Ash!

You have to love that twisted stuff, the tree these pieces came from was a twisted mess!

P4100018Large.jpg

P4100016Large.jpg

P4100021Large.jpg

Actually, I only got 2 larger trunk pieces. This was a CL 'free' score and the fella I got it from split the twisted stuff and was p'od at it saying it was really, really hard to split. He was swapping this out for some free birch from someone else. Guess who came out the winner ash vs birch? :)

Fortunately we just don't get much twisted ash here but our ash is all in the woods rather than being out in the wind. You'll like that stuff Shari. Just don't get them like rdust does. Those look nasty.

Backwoods Savage said:
Just don't get them like rdust does. Those look nasty.

This is from the huge ash tree(street tree) I helped my uncle with last spring. Out of the 5 cords of wood I got from it only one or two wasn't a twisted mess. I'm gonna hate loading the stove with that in a couple years.

Na, you'll make out just fine rdust. Just be careful with that back of yours.

That bark looks different than the White Ash we see here, but the wood looks very similar...

Status
Not open for further replies.