@#%&@!! Passwords/Usernames

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The most common pass word is ....password

really.

Reactions: PapaDave
I guess any system can be comprimised
And therein lies the problem. Just depends on how far you want to go and how paranoid you are. My own level of paranoia varies with the news. Which is why I seldom listen to the news. I'm happier being just a little uninformed.

Reactions: Realstone
Here is a simple way to create a memorable but strong password. Take any four or five letter word that you can remember. Take the last four digits of your first phone number. Splice them together. Example: Split and 1865 joined together S1P8L6i5T

same password for anything that isn't deemed "sensitive information". my email, and whatnot have complex 3 letter passwords...everything else is simple.

Yikes! I might offer that there are NO 'complex' 3 letter passwords...even using lower case and caps and numbers and symbols, it could probably be brute-force guessed in a few minutes.

Obligatory XKCD on passwords:

http://xkcd.com/936/

The easiest and most secure option is a passphrase...throw in some punctuation, a few caps and a number ... still could be guessed, but probably not worth the effort unless its a matter of national security!

For forums, facebook etc. I just use the same one and never log out.
Banking or sensitive ones, is the wife's job anyways.

Like Jack, I recently had to change my e-mail--I was shocked at all the passwords I had! I have a list of them now, and it is getting longer. Sheesh.
Remember when "Password" was just a game show?

Firefox stores them for you. Click Tools>Options then click the Security tab>Saved Passwords>Show Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.