Patiently Waiting For Burning Season .....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rented a Uhaul pickup and dragged home five loads of unwanted rounds from across town on Saturday, gratis. Spent the weekend morning and evenings splitting as breaks from studying for the bar exam. I believe it's a mixed bag of red oak, white oak, ash, and cedar, I think I'll be okay for the upcoming season.

I can wait for winter, but I do enjoy swinging the hammer - even on the 4th of July. The bar exam is, of course, and entirely different matter...

Biff_CT said:
The bar exam is, of course, and entirely different matter...

I don't believe in luck, but will wish you success on the bar. A day before the exam, put down the books and go split some wood. You know what you need to know by then and the splitting will clear your head.

stoveguy2esw said:
this is why i have the bestest job of all, i get to burn stuff daily and get paid for it!!!! (gloating)

sorry , just hadda do that :coolgrin:

Well, I know who is in the lab now. :lol:

Got that clean burning wood furnace ready for my consumer testing yet? :coolsmirk:

I am a summer junkie. We bought a house three blocks from the beach, and we go to the beach 5 times a week. I was swimming at the beach earlier today. Somehow I find myself still staring at my stove and wishing the nights were cold enough to warrant a fire. I'm scrounging, splitting, and stacking wood, but man do I miss burning it. Last winter was my first season burning, and this coming season will be my first full season. I can really relate to you, Carlo, and I'm only 30. I love summer and I am enjoying it so far, but I am really looking forward to that first cold September night.

Supposed to near 100 today, and has been in the high 80s and 90s last couple of days, but oddly enough not a day goes by that I don't think about burning or scrounging for some wood. I've really gotten hooked.
I had an insert installed a couple months ago and I am looking forward to my first year of burning. I'm hoping the new insert will save me a few bucks on the old oil bill.
I find that there's a part of me actually looking forward to the colder months. Not that I want summer to be over. Both the wife and I are teachers and having a couple months off together sure is nice.

Summer started here today. We are finally "supposed" to break 75. I love every bit of summer. It can hang around for as long as it likes.

Damn! Sounds like I need to relocate. To me, anything above 75F is criminal.

Then you would do well here. We get natural cooling due to the ever cold Puget Sound. Current outside temp = 60°F

BeGreen said:
Then you would do well here. We get natural cooling due to the ever cold Puget Sound. Current outside temp = 60°F

Yes plz. Sign me up!

Seldom freezes there either, due to warm Pacific water. About as moderate as it gets. Like a slightly cooler SF Bay area, but with no sun.

madrone said:
Seldom freezes there either, due to warm Pacific water. About as moderate as it gets. Like a slightly cooler SF Bay area, but with no sun.

I would imagine with that kind of weather it's been overrun with non-locals, and, as a result, all sorts of wacky environmental and zoning laws are the norm?

Pagey said:
madrone said:

I would imagine with that kind of weather it's been overrun with non-locals, and, as a result, all sorts of wacky environmental and zoning laws are the norm?

Oh you mean Liberals? ;-)

madrone said:

Actually we will be 5-10 degrees warmer and sunnier than San Francisco this week. That's often the case in summer. They get a lot of marine air and foggy mornings.
"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." - Mark Twain.

BeGreen said:
madrone said:

Actually we will be 5-10 degrees warmer and sunnier than San Francisco this week. That's often the case in summer. They get a lot of marine air and foggy mornings.
"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." - Mark Twain.

Very true.

BeGreen said:

No kidding. We got married in March and waited until April to go on the honeymoon in San Francisco. I was going to "The Sunshine State" so I got off of the plane in summer clothes. Had the cab stop at a department store on the way to the hotel to buy a coat! Biggest problem we had was that the radiator in the the room at the Mark Hopkins was broken. Had to move to find a hotel room with heat.

Hiram Maxim said:
Pagey said:
madrone said:

Oh you mean Liberals? ;-)

L O freakin' L. I was getting political by any means, but if the shoe fits... Actually I was kind of thinking about things locally - the real estate market was HOT a few years back. People in FL were selling out for 750K and moving up here, buying up bluff lots for 50K an acre and putting up these huge, 250-300K log cabins. After the developers had ***** us and moved on, the locals enacted a ton of zoning laws that are totally impractical for the local, common man in a town of 2,000. Gotta love it! I just assumed the same kind of thing would happen in a place with such a lovely climate.

We've been lucky in VT this year. We rolled out of woodstove season, right into firepit season. The weather has cooperated and we've had a firepit every weekend since late spring.

Pagey said:

If this is the case you have NO business living in TN!!

I am always ready for winter. My body just does not like the heat! I don't like the to be cold in some over air conditioned place either. My wife was complaining about the AC not working well yesterday. It was 100+ outside and 80 inside. I think 25 °F cooler outside is acceptable. I try to spend a s little time in AC as I can so that i can acclimate to the heat outside. Starting next week the AC will be off at my workplace until late August. It usually runs 100 plus where i work.
Did I mention that I am ready for winter?

Up here at 8500 ft. it was near 90 two weeks ago, a bit more than that last week though the nights are still fifty-ish. I just switched the bedding to summer fare last night before retiring. Cold front went thru in the night and I had to get up and get a blanket for us freezing in bed; today it's raining and foggy and I actually have one of the wood stoves going. Small fire, but nice to hear it crackling. Probably be a hundred again by week's end.

Werm said:
Pagey said:

I would prefer to summer elsewhere, probably. That's just not financially possible, unfortunately.

Some circuitry on my air conditioner fried from a "brown out" and I was without a/c for a couple of days with temps near 105 degrees. Slept in basement.

My lawn is burning out because my town is on water restrictions.

It seems like it's been either 100 degrees or 100% humidity every day.

My electric bill will probably be $800+ and that includes the 2 days without a/c.

My son just told me his temperature light in his car came on, so he takes my car now and I take his car till I get it fixed.

And it's only July 7th ???

GIVE ME WINTER !!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take 25" of snow any day compared to this. But I still like the scantily clad ladies :)

Pagey said:
Werm said:
Pagey said:

I would prefer to summer elsewhere, probably. That's just not financially possible, unfortunately.

Missed your chance. 89 in Seattle today, broke a record. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer. With the steady north wind blowing across the water we hit a very nice 76, low humidity and pure blue skies. Just right.

Have to admit, while I have not been thinking about the stove exactly, I have been thinking about wood, or rather the four trees I need to get down soon.

I like winter better as far as weather goes, but I don't generally dislike summer. When it's cold out, you can always put on more clothes, but in the real hot weather, once you get down to naked, well, while that may not always be bad, it is as far as you can go...

Status
Not open for further replies.