Paving the driveway and the woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Just a quick question for all, this past summer I made my driveway wider, built a retaining wall and now ready to pave.
Last year I took 8 pallets and stacked my winter supply in the driveway across from the garage, it was real handy to have the pile there for the winter, but it became a hassle / eye sore to keep messing around with the tarps. So I figured I would build a permanent wood storage shed with a roof along the side wall of the driveway. My question is do I want to repave the whole driveway way then build off of cement blocks? Do I want to repave the whole area then cut the driveway to dig holes for sono tube footings? Or should I just pave everything except the foot print for the new wood shed.
My design for the shed could go either way, If I decide on using the cement blocks as a foundation I will build the shed to only support the roof, and keep the firewood on pallets, if I go the sono tube route I will build the whole structure with a 2x8 base / decking and stack the wood on top of that.
My dimensions for the shed are 6ft wide x 32ft long with a roof over hang on both sides I plan on using 1"x6" boards and flip flop (one mounted on the outside, then move up 5" and mount the sext one on the inside wall) them on three sides to keep weather out but promote air movement, the front side will have (4) 8ft bays that will be open, but I will take a 2x4x8' board and a tarp roll it up, then if a major snow comes I will unroll it and the bay will be closed off to the weather.

5-24-2015 025.JPG

This was after the end of last winter. Don't worry I moved the last of the wood inside the garage, and still have 2 or 3 loads left. But you get to see the space Im working with.
5-24-2015 172.JPG 5-24-2015 196.JPG 5-24-2015 165.JPG

>>build off of cement blocks
They may sink into the asphalt

>>8ft bays that
will fit 2 pallets?

Status
Not open for further replies.