PC45 3 blink code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rch105

Oct 10, 2013
Pocono Mtns. of NE PA
Harman PC45...burning pellets, no corn.

The season started off fine without any problems. Just before Christmas I came downstairs to find I was getting the ESP 3 blink malfunction code. I pulled the plug and reset it and it was ok for a few hours. The code continues to come back. Thinking it may need a thorough cleaning, I cleaned it. Well, it stayed off for a few hours and then back to the blinks.

Today I cleaned the stove then went to the dealer and bought a new ESP and installed it. Fired up the stove and after 15 minutes, the 3 blinks came back.

I read that sometimes the DIP switches are not set correctly. AlI 8 of my switches have the little circle at the bottom. Is that the "ON" or the "OFF" position? What are the correct settings for burning pellets in this corn stove?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

Now here's a question or 2. There is a small indentation on the DIP, does pushing it up turn it "ON". All 8 are pushed down. And what is the normal factory setting that the stove comes with if burning corn?

Picture of how I have two pc45s set. As per technical bulletin 1,2,3 control startup feed only. I have the technical bulletin for optimizing them for pellets

Attachments

• DSCN0157.JPG
    DSCN0157.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 499
Picture of how I have two pc45s set. As per technical bulletin 1,2,3 control startup feed only. I have the technical bulletin for optimizing them for pellets

So as to not read anything into this (my bad habit), the attached picure is per the tech bulletin.

Would it be possible to get a copy of that Tech bulletin from you?

Thanks, loads! I just recleaned and double checked everything on my stove and am going to fire it up...it's 10 above 0 and I hate using propane.

So as to not read anything into this (my bad habit), the attached picure is per the tech bulletin.

Would it be possible to get a copy of that Tech bulletin from you?

Thanks, loads! I just recleaned and double checked everything on my stove and am going to fire it up...it's 10 above 0 and I hate using propane.
PMd copy

Reactions: rch105

Attachments

• PC45 tech bulletin.pdf
    339.4 KB · Views: 440
The saga continues. I'll provide a little history and hopefully some of you Stove Guru's can get me thru this mess. Bought the HArman PC45 new from local dealer in July 2008. It was set up as corn as shipped from factory. Dealer advised burning pellets, as delivered, was not an issue. I've been burning pellets since that time every season w/o problems. Last month I started getting a 3 blink code. Did notice it didn't appear to be running as hot. Did standard cleaning. Brought side wall temp up about 50 degrees and went for an hour or 2 and then 3 blinks were back. Reset and came back again. Last week I spoke to dealer and it was suggested the ESP was bad. Bought new one. Same issues. Recleaned (every nook and cranny) removed plates/covers...everything...restarted..10 minutes later...3 blinks. The DIP were all off, never had changed or touched them. Followed advice for the "pellet kit" settings( changed DIP's)...flames was high and sooty...glass was a mess in 2 hours burn time. Changed back to all off. 3 Blink continues 10/15 minutes if I reset. Suggestions??? Trying to save money by picking your brains...I'm very capable of any type repair...just need knowledge of wear to go next. Thanks!!!

I've looked for the meaning of the 3 blink code: faulty Room Sensor probe :cool:
Posted by bell206b3 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 07 at 19:23
Love the XXV. Don't like the Room Sensor setup because I neglect to turn down the thermostat when I'm not going to be home(waste of pellets). I wanted to replace this RS with a programmable thermostat. So I did and I want to share this. A Harmon Technical Bulletin actually addresses this. Acquire any 24v/millivolt programmable thermostat and desired length of two-wire thermostat cable. DO NOT DAMAGE or DISCARD RS probe. Its needed for this mod. Unplug stove. Remove and cut only one wire of the two wire RS cable. Do not alter the probe end. I did this at the stove connector end. Splice one wire from programmable thermostat to one end of this "cut wire" and splice the second wire from the programmable thermostat to the other end of this "cut wire". Reinsulate the cable assy to suit, reinstall on stove, install programmable thermostat whereever and wire to suit. With the programmable thermosat either off or at a temp setting lower than programmed, plug the stove in. I had a 3-blink status light alarm. This alarm indicates that the RS is either disconnected or faulty. Activate run-program or turn on programmable thermostat and the blinking sequence stops. The programmable thermostat is now only a relay that opens or closes the RS circuit. The RS is still monitoring room temperature. Position it accrdingly. The Bulletin states that the RS must be installed in-line as described for this to work. It works! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/firepl/msg111441198552.html

Hope this helps you solve it...

Reactions: Bioburner
Thanks for suggesting the fix. After reading everything you posted I went downstairs to check the room sensor wiring, thinking I may have accidently disconnected it. Everything looked as it should, then I looked at the copy of my owner's manual again and saw that my 3 blinks are not like what you posted. Your 3 blinks apparently are for the Room Sensor malfunction. My 3 blinks are for the ESP and 4 blinks are the RS. I was disappointed as I was really hoping your's was the fix I needed. I certainly appreciate you trying to help and hope you can come up with the answer. Thanks again!

I checked the Harman XXV manual and it has the same 3 blink ESP, 4 blink Room Sensor, 5 blink failed to ignite in auto, 6 blink poor combustion. From what I can tell from the wiring diagram, the room sensor plugs into the ESP board. With that poster stating he was getting 3 blinks for the thermostat/room sensor not working in his situation, I think I would try replacing the room sensor as it would be cheaper than a board...

Status
Not open for further replies.