PC45 - Good Price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rexrules

Oct 6, 2012
Just picked up some pellets from the dealer and I saw they have some closeout PC45 units available. The price on the unit was $2700, but the owner wasn't there to ask if he would go lower. I am going back tomorrow to pick up some more pellets - what would be a good price on these units?

I was just about ready to buy a CAB50 to replace the 25PDVC, but if the PC45 is a good deal then maybe I will get that instead.

This was discussed in another thread ... another dealer in Kentucky was trying to sell them on CL for $2600 per forum member bags. He ended up with a used PC45 for $1600. Dealer still going to honour warranty?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up some pellets from the dealer and I saw they have some closeout PC45 units available. The price on the unit was $2700, but the owner wasn't there to ask if he would go lower. I am going back tomorrow to pick up some more pellets - what would be a good price on these units?

I was just about ready to buy a CAB50 to replace the 25PDVC, but if the PC45 is a good deal then maybe I will get that instead.
Make sure that the unit comes with the pellet tray and tray cap. Picture attached with it in the stove. The price of around 2600 or 2700 is close to the same as the P43. If you don't like fussing and cleaning a stove a Harman is hard to beat.

Attachments

• DSCN0503.JPG
    DSCN0503.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 163
That guy was in Brooksville, IN and he had 4 new left overs for $2,600 each. At the $2,600 to $2,700 price I would spend the extra $200 to $300 for a brand new P43. Then you get a warranty and stuff along with newer technology. The PC45 is a good stove and if you want to burn a lot of corn then it makes sense or if you find one for a good price. The new P series will burn a 50 / 50 mix of corn and pellets also so unless you are only burning corn it is a good way to go.

I guess these dealers or ex-dealers likely have about what they are asking tied up in these "new" older PC45's. Not sure how many the guy in Brooksville, IN still has. He also had a Harman pellet furnace for sale. He's on Cincinnati Craigslist.

The Cab50 is a good stove but not as easy to operate as a Harman. For a lower priced stove it's the one to have IMHO. I almost bought one and was waffling between it and a new P43 then the PC45 popped up on Craigslist for $1,800. I bought it for $1,600 with extras. You can get a new Cab50 for $1,299 plus $225 shipping with no tax from Farm and Land Supply in MN and WI. For $1,500 it's a good deal but the shipping can be a small hassle.

I think you'd be on your own without any warranty with the guy in Brooksville. Basically like buying a used unit. Not sure if the dealer you are talking about would have warranty back up on his 45's either. But if he is still a Harman dealer you might get one.

Bottom line: For $2,700 I would get a new P43 for $2,900 without thinking twice.

With the Cab50 new you are on your own also. No returns or warranty service unless you buy from a local dealer for $1,800 plus tax. Then you are at $2,000 and again for a little more you are into a new P43. You might be able to get some Cab50 parts if needed in a warranty period but would have to go to HHT. Good Luck there. Ask some people here about the Cab50's. There are a few around and they seem to like them. The Cab50 is not a Harman but it is half the price. If a $1,500 to $3,000 budget is not an issue get a Harman. You won't regret it. If you are trying to keep the budget lower get a Cab50.

The Harman runs itself and requires little attention, cleaning, and maintenance. The Cab50 is a manual unit and you have to adjust things and do more to keep it happy. It's all in what it's worth to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.