pdvc hopper extension installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Faustus

Minister of Fire
ok, its been bothering me since the first week i got my pdvc a few years ago how small the hopper is. not even a whole bag fits in. it's my sole source of heat in my house. well others are available but i choose not to use them. I didnt do it for a while because of the warranty and besides i was still learning about the stove. last week i found a pre fab hopper extension for the pdvc on ebay.

I know about having a good seal and it must be good metal and good quality to work properly, so after asking the seller a few questions, i decided to go for it. it was either that get a different stove but i love my pdvc and really want to hang on to it.

the seller said it was made of steel and sturdy, and it comes with gaskets and screws and even a lid switch extension kit (if you have a lid switch, i dont).

so it came today. it arrived in good shape and was easy to install. maybe medium if you are not good with this sort of thing. basically you remove the current lid and install it on the extension. this requires you to drill a few holes in the extension with a 5/32 drill bit. attach the screws and the gasket. the directions suggest you use silicone between the stove and the extension but its not necessary. i used high temp silicone because i always err on the side of caution.

place the extender on to the stove and bend in all the tabs to clamp it down. this was the hardest part but its a nice design. the whole thing did not require me to modify the stove one bit. if i wanted to get rid of the extension, i can and the stove would be unmodified.

all in all i am really happy with it. it took 2.5 bags which is more than double the original size and theres no difference in the burn now that its been on a few hours. i inspected it closely for possible leaks and there are none.

there is one minor drawback. the hopper is now higher up. which means you have to lift the bags higher to fill it. for me this is not a problem. it would be for my wife however she wont have to do it at all anymore since the stove can hold so much it can wait till i get home.

there is also an extension madefor the pdv larger model.

I made one for my PDVC a few years ago and would never go back. Mine holds between 90 and 100 lbs. No worry about being away and running out of pellets. That was the only thing that bugged me about my stove.

hmm, I can actually fit a whole bag in mine, which last a good 9 hours, well, I now have 2 stoves so I don't have mine cranking I guess. Probably would be less if it was a sole heater..

Status
Not open for further replies.