PDVC unburned pellet build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
This is been happening basically since I got the stove. I know the manual says to clean the burn pot once a day, but should I be having unburned pellets? I have tried all kinds of different settings. High air intake, less pellet feed. Nothing seems to work.

IMG_20111228_180113.gif

GEDC0039.gif

Are they unburned when the get to the edge of the wearplate?

In the second picture it looks like ash out there.

smoke show said:
Are they unburned when the get to the edge of the wearplate?

In the second picture it looks like ash out there.

yes, most of the time. Picture 1 is from factory set bottom 3 ( 6-4-1) Second pic, can't remember what I had it set on. But there were still unburnt pellets. These pics are only after about 6 hours of burning

Did you try just scooping out the ash more than once a day? I easily need to do it 2 maybe 3 times a day and I don't burn 24 hours either. I never let my burn pot get that full of ash and never have unburnt pellets...maybe that's it?????????

I think some information about your vent configuration might be helpful. Usually with that stove the complaint is not enough pellets to keep the flame at a constant level.

TLHinCanada said:
I think some information about your vent configuration might be helpful. Usually with that stove the complaint is not enough pellets to keep the flame at a constant level.

000_0001-3.jpg

I turned my bottom 3 to 4-5-1. Heat is at 4 blower at 6. So far no pellet build up, but definetly not producing as much heat.

Now if I turn the heat setting up, isn't that the same as turning the feed up?

Yes, its going to be feeding more pellets....these stove are what they are....they are good little heat producers but unfortunately because of the burnpot configuration, the ash doesn't work its way out of it and just builds up.

Your best bet is to call Mike H. at Englander or email tech support.

on my 25-pdv i have the same thing, but like was said once the ashes get to
the edge of the burn pot there more or less all burned.

i clean my pot a couple times a day also, and tried differant settings
but it is what it is.

On my pdvc the second half of the wear plate is all ash, no unburned pellets.

Using high quality canadian softwoods.

Have you tried some different brands of pellets? For my Whitfield, some pellets will build up fairly quickly in the burn pot, while others don't seem to accumulate at all. I assume it has to do with the density and burn rate of the particular pellet.

I don't see your venting outside the wall but your eva might be to high for 3" pipe.

TLHinCanada said:
I don't see your venting outside the wall but your eva might be to high for 3" pipe.

Looks like the standard Simpson 3" (3000 kit) vent kit from the Big Box Store. Used the same kit for my Fathers PDV.

Up 3' and out 2', is 13.5 EVL. Any way you configure that kit, it cant go over 15'.

If he goes back up when it goes outside, then yes, he would be over. But going off my memory of his install and pics, its a standard termination out the wall.

There are only 3 things that make a fire. Ignition, fuel, and oxygen. If you have fuel and ignition (hopefully pellets aren't wet), then all that is left is oxygen (air). You are either not producing enough air or air flow is blocked somewhere in the system. Run a brush down the vent. Behind the plate on the left hand side reach your fingers down and you'll find a hole. Make an adapter for your vac with garden hose and shove it down. Once this is done if the stove is still not working you may have an over feed on the pellets. Eliminate the obvious first (also the cheapest since it will cost nothing but time). Good luck.

chrisasst said:
TLHinCanada said:

000_0001-3.jpg

I turned my bottom 3 to 4-5-1. Heat is at 4 blower at 6. So far no pellet build up, but definetly not producing as much heat.

Now if I turn the heat setting up, isn't that the same as turning the feed up?

As I see it the Heat deals with the rate of feed (how long the upper auger turns), According to the the stove literature the the blower and heat settings should be the same although I prefer to run the blower 1 setting higher than the heat setting to exchange more air although it will not be as hot. According to Forum posts, the three buttons generally affect only the 1 and 2 heat/air settings on most 25 PDVC's. With heat at 4 it appears you now have complete combustion. Do you have a problem if you go to higher heat settings?

Initially my stove was set at 5-4-1 and it really blew through pellets even on the 1-1 setting especially with Somerset pellets. With lower button now set at 3-6-1, after 6 or 8 hours with 1 heat-2 blower or 2 heat-3 blower setting, I get an amber buildup of light ash on the stove impingement plate and glass, I get ash in the burn pot as you show but no unburned pellets. I seldom use the higher settings for any length of time but have not experienced unburned pellets.

If your problem is at 1 and 2 blower/heat settings bump up the LBA until you get glowing pellets in the burn pot, Not all pellets feed at the same rate, some at smaller/longer/shorter and flame varies accordingly. If you get too much heat on the lowest setting you may have to lower the LFF and re adjust the LBA to keep the flame from going out. Takes some time stove watching.

My opinion...FWIW... is the stove needs a complete cleaning... not getting enough air.

imacman said:
krooser said:
My opinion...FWIW... is the stove needs a complete cleaning... not getting enough air.
x2

It did it since day one. I have also cleaned it a few weeks ago. I changed my bottom three to 3-4-1. Seems to be burning like it should now with just ash. Less heat though.

My situation was that I had too much heat with the 1-1 Heat/Blower setting especially on warmer days and cutting the LFF and raising the LAF gave me a clean burn and a manageable pellet consumption. My lower button settings are 3-6-1. I merely use higher Heat/Blower settings if I want more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.