PE Alderlea question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sean b

Oct 19, 2015
Central PA
Nice looking line of stoves but I'm not seeing anything in the literature relating to house square footage. We have about 1550 sf. Do you all use BTUs to size up certain heaters or should I be looking for square footage requirements?

Nice looking line of stoves but I'm not seeing anything in the literature relating to house square footage. We have about 1550 sf. Do you all use BTUs to size up certain heaters or should I be looking for square footage requirements?

When I bought mine I went with looks first, the PE are pretty pricey so look at it as you would buying a car, get what you like, what you will enjoy looking at for many years, they can all be run without the blowers so you can control the heat. I have 2500 sq ft colonial and the firebox on mine is 2.5 sq ft, heats the house without any problems. I assume you have a ranch, the T4's will heat that without any problem, even the little baby T1.2 would probably do it - T5 would be overkill. Feel free to call PE and ask them to be sure.

Square footage heated is mostly for marketing. There are a large range of factors that can affect this from climate zone, house construction, ceiling height, wood species, operator, etc.. Our next door neighbors heat 1600 sq ft with a PE Spectrum which is the same size as the T5. Their house has 9 ft ceilings and not the best insulation. They find the stove is a bit too much for mild weather until it gets colder.

The best indicator of what will work is the btus that the house uses for its current heat. The second is the firebox size. If the house is reasonably well insulated then the T5 will do the job. When it gets below 10F it may need supplemental heat, it depends on the house and the wood. The 3 cu ft T6 will provide more reserve power and a bit longer burn time, but it may be loafing until temps get below freezing if the house is tight and well insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.