PE Alderlea stove top temp survey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwscarab

Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2007
SE Indiana
Just a quick question. I measure my stove top temp with IR, trivets open, and just a few inches diagonal (forward and side) from the flu exit.

What MAX temp do you let yours get to before shutting air down fully (for overnite or away burns)??

Thanks!!

Thanks for reply! Others??

I want to get more heat from this stove. Right now I run it up to 750. Wondering if I can go higher w/o issue??? I sure dont want to overfire.

Depends on the weather, indoor/outdoor temp. And most likely on your draft.

...And to raise some hackles, if your EBT is functioning properly...

I try to close it in steps if I am sitting around the stove, > 500 half close, > 600 3/4 close, > 700 almost totally closed. This yr, with drier wood, this is occurring sooner and in faster sequences than last yr , when I did not have the best supply of fuel.

Like the syringe said, if > 800, I would shut it all the way down. And let the EBT take over...

I also shut it down in stages, not all at once. Usually, with a reload at the coals stage the top will be about 500. I wait for the wood to start charring and secondaries to kick in, top maybe at 600, then close the air down. At that point the temp climbs to wherever it wants, usually about 700, but 750+ with hardwood.

It depends what the outside temp is. I bury the temp gage on top of the steel fire box all the time when its -40 or so. When its not cold say 0F I will [try] to keep it under 600 and only reload when there are just a few coals also I do not fill the box except for over night. If I fill the stove to the top she will hit 800 every time. I am using pine only but its got tight rings and denser that pine down in warm country. If its above 15F I do not run the stove at night. We sometimes wake up to 60F if the outside temp has taken a quick plunge but we do not consider that cold besides it only takes 2 hours to bring the house up to 72 or so.
I find this stove very flexible.

Great feedback!! And thanks all. Sounds like I am in the ballpark. I may let her hit 800 on very cold days/nights, but for now I will stick with the 750 max, from your feedback.

I find where I may have gone wrong is a basement install. I really feel the stove is awesome, and if it were in the living area of my home, I would be in boxers all winter - instead of just keeping up with the temp needed to keep furnace from kickin on (70f).

We are considering a move - our next home - the wood stove WILL be on the main floor, and it will be another T6.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.