PE Alderlea T5 pre-fire tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooColdHere

Jan 28, 2013
Kent Island, Maryland
Hello all! I hope everyone had a great spring and summer. I have been looking forward to the cool weather setting in and getting back to this fantastic forum!
I brushed the chimney last night and got her put back together (only got about a cup of soot all the way to the cap). This stove was just installed before last season, so this is season No2. Gaskets look good, but should I remove all firebricks and clean inside completely? Any tips/secrets I should use for cleaning and/or inspecting before I start my first low fires? Anything in particular to look out for? Thanks for any tips.
Happy Heating!

Did you plug the secondary tube feeding the baffle. before sweeping? And did you put a new gasket around the tube before reinstalling the baffle. If so you should be ready to go.

Did you plug the secondary tube feeding the baffle. before sweeping? And did you put a new gasket around the tube before reinstalling the baffle. If so you should be ready to go.
Uhhhh...nope. Glad I asked. Is this routine? (I think I need to get back in there and get refamiliar.) Should I remove all bricks and sweep it all out? Is a new gasket needed every season?

The baffle gasket needs to be replaced every time the baffle is pulled. It's too wimpy to stand up. Some make their own out of 3/8" rope gasket for a more durable replacement. Yes, you need to block off the secondary connector tube. Otherwise the crud will drop right down through it. Pull the ash pan and look underneath to the back of the stove with the air control wide open. Is there a pile of sote back there? If so, you need to vacuum out the secondary manifold tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.