PE Pacific Insert. How Long For The Baffle To Cool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Cleaning chimney today. Rain scheduled for mid afternoon, it's 10 AM now

Insert is at 150 °F on the Rutland, door is ajar, coals on the smaller size with alot of ash (saving some for the restart). I keep raking them around. I haven't loaded it since 11 last night.

Do I have enough of a window to get this done?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Cleaning chimney today. Rain scheduled for mid afternoon, it's 10 AM now

Insert is at 150 °F on the Rutland, doos is ajar, coals on the smaller size with alot of ash (saving some for the restart). I keep raking them around. I haven't loaded it since 11 last night.

Do I have enough of a window to get this done?

Put the coals in your ash bucket and return to stove after cleaning. Stove will cool much faster if coals are out and turn fan on bypass (run constantly) to help cool as well.

Thanks bsa.

Done.

FYI the baffle is heavy, and awkward to maneuver out and especially back into place, the side rails etc need to be navigated carefully when reinstalling. Plus, with the limited door space, there is only room for one set of hands. You will want strong, thick gloves when handling it, warm or cold.

I would take the small amount of time to fashion a new Hog v1.0 or v2.0 baffle gasket while you have the baffle out.

Also, cover the air channel while cleaning.

Very fine ash dust will be all over the top of the baffle, so when you do get the baffle out of the door opening, be careful moving it (outside) for cleaning.

Woo Hooo !!!

Success !!!!

It needed to be cleaned.

About 1 coffee can full of fluffy creosote. Pipe is shiney in a good way (steel, not black). Cap is clean once again! The baffle gasket looked OK, and the rain was 1/2 an hour away, so I'll deal with that in the spring.

We took the baffle out before brushing ( I had taken the door off before hand). I was alittle nervous about the baffle going back in, but there was really only one way for it to fit into the supply and rest on the rails. The welds look good (thanks Hogz !)

I have a small test fire going now.

AND the dry wood is moved nearer to the back door !!

Thanks to everyone ! All help greatly appreciated !! I learned alot !!

:)

madison said:
FYI the baffle is heavy, and awkward to maneuver out and especially back into place, the side rails etc need to be navigated carefully when reinstalling. Plus, with the limited door space, there is only room for one set of hands. You will want strong, thick gloves when handling it, warm or cold.

I would take the small amount of time to fashion a new Hog v1.0 or v2.0 baffle gasket while you have the baffle out.

Also, cover the air channel while cleaning.

Very fine ash dust will be all over the top of the baffle, so when you do get the baffle out of the door opening, be careful moving it (outside) for cleaning.

What do you mean new Hog v1.0 or v2.0 baffle gasket? I haven't cleaned mine this year (1st year for my PE) and I don't know if I will since my pipe at the cap doesn't look that bad but I would like to have supplies ready if needed. Reminds me I need to order a polly brush.

Glad it worked out good for ya Dixie.
PE's are really easy to clean IMO. The baffle can be a lil awkward, but after a few cleanings its like habit.
Lift on back a lil, slide forward a lil, slide to one side, let other side past the side ledge down into the stove, slide other end off the other side rail, pull through door opening.
The biggest PITA is the weight of the baffle , and getting yourself & arms positioned to move it around without being in an uncomfortable position.
I took mine out when the stove was about 150-200 degrees last time. Welding gloves are best for that job.
If I get some free time after the surgery, I'll see about making some baffle gaskets. Version 2 is easier to make, but in test mode and not proven to me yet, until next cleaning.

I haven't had the baffle gasket in for @ yr now... it got vacced up last cleaning ago.... I keep intending to get one (I mean, we do have them at work, and I go there everday) and i guess sometime I'll have to... Thing is, it runs fine w/ out it.. still 2ndary brun going on thru the baffle holes... I do get an extra little shimmer flame towards the rear, though..

summit said:
I haven't had the baffle gasket in for @ yr now... it got vacced up last cleaning ago.... I keep intending to get one (I mean, we do have them at work, and I go there everday) and i guess sometime I'll have to... Thing is, it runs fine w/ out it.. still 2ndary brun going on thru the baffle holes... I do get an extra little shimmer flame towards the rear, though..

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that too. I think I will pick up a little bit of gasket material and start on Hog's knitting class.

Status
Not open for further replies.