PE Spectrum Classic installed. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
. . . and burning. Looks awesome. In case anyone was wondering, it makes a lot of heat.

One problem - I've got about 12' of single wall pipe with 2 elbows which I replaced. When the door is open, smoke pours out the elbow joints. The joints look fine and are snug. They never leaked with the old stove. It drafts beautifully otherwise. Ideas?

90 degress elbows, or 45s? also, dod you get all the plasticwrapping out from the inside of the pipe? i ran into that once on an insta, left the bagie w/ the instrustions in the pipe, made lotsa puffback...

They are closer to 45s than 90s. I replaced all 12' of pipe, left all the stickers and so forth on the inside and it only leaked at the elbows.

How is the upper part of the flue above the singlewall? Did it get cleaned? Is the cap screen clean?

I saw a fisher for sale on Craigslist from Shelton.... Do you know that guy?

We need pics of this new stove of course.

next tie you do this, crack a window in the house before you open the stove door... maybe a neg pressure issue..

BG - Yes. Half the screen is missing.

HB - I have no camera, but it looks great.

Summit - I had every window in my house open.

Remember, it ONLY leaks smoke when the stove door is open and only at the elbows.

Single wall adjustable elbows I assume? Also this is with a hot stove and flowing chimney? How weird. Well, with a closed door and hot fire the draft of the chimney is sucking like when you have your hand over the inlet to the shop vac. When you open the stove door, this is like removing your hand from the shop vac. More air is available to be sucked through the chimney and so less suction on the system. Less suction means you are more likely to get smoke splillage.

I suspect a flue restriction upstream of the elbows. How much vertical length does the chimney have above these elbows? Any backslope near the elbows?

Couldn't be as simple as warm temps outside? Guessing not, since no one's mentioned it.

The only time I ever got smoke from the pipe seams was when my outdoor cleanout lid got pulled off by ice, effectively reducing my chimney to about 5'.

not that this should affect the situation, but worth a look: did you remove the room air inlet cover on the back of the pedestal (if on a pedestal) and/ or leg adaptor housing(if on legs)?

By backslope, I mean that horizontal piece between the elbows. Does it rise away from the stove. Stick a level on it. You have a pretty short chimney at 15' plus two elbows but I recall that those elbows are less then 90 degrees so this thing should all work fine.

Maybe the adjustable elbows are just too sloppy.

When you get the bird's nest out of that chimney, let us know. :cheese:

Summit - I didn't remove anything - didn't know I was supposed to. I'll have a look at it.

HB - The elbows are more like 45 than 90.

BB - You're the bird nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.