PE Spectrum Classic or Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
Think I've narrowed it down to these two stoves, both available from reputable dealers close by. I reread my original post about stoves, and the many replies. Quick facts: want to heat 24/7 as much as possible. Live close to Portland Oregon so winters are usually more mild. Heating single level. Open area is about 750 sq ft, 8 ft ceilings, 1960's insulation, new windows. Venting into inside fireplace with good draft and about 22' to top(house has large 2nd story attic) Will will put in SS liner and block off plate. The BTU calculation was right around 26,000. Figured efficiency at 70% so took Mfg ratings and reduced them 30% or so. Looks like both of these stoves will do the job. Wife wants white so the PE quote was right at $2000 and a white Castine would be right around $1700. If this all sounds correct then it comes down to the factors you all mentioned originally:

BeGreen - you have the Castine partly because of what your better half liked "the look". My wife also favors look of Castine. You also said your neighbors PE holds a fire much longer than your Castine and if I was ok with the difference in aesthetics then look at the PE
Elk- (one factor) was to go with what pleases the eye
MikeWilson - the look also because...the rest of the year it's a bookshelf in your living room
Roo - sorry, wont even go there since we're looking at the Ivory

I like everything I hear and read about the PE Spectrum, especially the heat it puts out, ease of use,and the long burn time. I would probably go with that model right now. Not quite sure how much difference I'd see in the Castine for those same factors. So, if all else is roughly equal, I'll probably defer to the wife and the aesthetics of the Castine.

Wonder if Carpniels, amazer, BeGreen, pfmg, adrpga498, or Wyatt could also weigh in as they have the Castine. Think it was amazer's thread I reviewed today as that Castine was just going in. What comments/experience could they share? Yes, PE owners can weigh in too as I would probably choose that model.

Tom's (Thechimneysweep) quote from the Pacific Energy owners thread:

thechimneysweep said:
OK Spike, I'll jump in.

The flagship of PE's product line is the D1 firebox. It is used in the Super 27, the Spectrum, the Classic and the Fusion, as well as the "Pacific" insert. Having the same firebox and outer convection shell, all four models perform exactly the same: The difference is basically looks and price (the ash removal system with hidden drawer is standard on the Classic, Spectrum and Fusion models, but can be added to the Super 27 model for $115.00). We first burned a Super 27 on our showroom test flue some years ago, and it was the first Winter we were able to walk into a warm store every morning since we'd burned the original Woodstock Soapstone and Hearthstone Heritage models. The difference was, both soapstone models, although still putting out heat, were dead burned out and we had to start our morning fire from scratch. The Super 27 still had hot coals in it every morning, after a 12-hour burn. Since I work long hours and burn time is very important to me, I bought a Spectrum, and still heat my house with it today.

The Summit, Summit Classic and Summit Insert models came later, in an effort to offer a larger firebox and more output for larger homes. The now-legendary (on this forum, anyway) EBT technology was implemented to make the Summit hold a fire as long as the smaller D1 models, while still meeting EPA requirements. In our mild climate out here in the Pacific Northwest, we've learned to be careful about recommending the Summit models, as a Summit with a full firebox is a powerful beastie indeed.

The Vista, Vista Classic and Vista insert all share the same (smaller) firebox, and have out-performed every other "size small" woodburner we've ever carried, in both the sustained heat ouput and burn time categories.

One of PE's big advantages is, they're built in a robotics assembly plant. A mechanical "arm" goes all around each firebox, full-bead welding every seam. The result is, PE fireboxes are tighter than similar but spot-welded stoves (might account for the longer burn times, we think). Factor in the lifetime warranty, floating solid stainless secondary burn chamber and truly "stay clear" viewing windows, as well as the almost-fanatical devotion of PE owners, and PE products are an easy sell.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4956/

Both are popular...you will probably be happy with either one.

Now if it were me , I'd get the spec and be done with it.;-P

A few things to consider the Spec is a north/south stove and the Castine is east/west. I find it alittle easier to bank for a long burn when loading N/S (logs can't roll out)

Clearances- the spec can be placed closer to combustibles. May or may not be an issue for you.

Ash system- which one do you like better? I'm not familiar with the castines system but the PE's is very good-see Roo's film loop.

I am a bit biased.... maybe Begreen will chime in once he gets back from admiring his neighbour's spectrum. :eek:hh:

Gunner said:
Both are popular...you will probably be happy with either one.

Now if it were me , I'd get the spec and be done with it.;-P

A few things to consider the Spec is a north/south stove and the Castine is east/west. I find it alittle easier to bank for a long burn when loading N/S (logs can't roll out)

Clearances- the spec can be placed closer to combustibles. May or may not be an issue for you.

Ash system- which one do you like better? I'm not familiar with the castines system but the PE's is very good-see Roo's film loop.

I am a bit biased.... maybe Begreen will chime in once he gets back from admiring his neighbour's spectrum. :eek:hh:

SLAM ! ouch , that was hard < but funnier-n hell > :lol: Sorry buddy BG . ;-)

Some friends, go for a guy when he's offline....

I've already put in my two cents in the other thread. Remember, I was the one that suggested he take a look at the PE before deciding. I like the Spectrum Classic a lot. I like the Castine too. It is a pretty stove and will work fine. You will load it a little more often, but not obsessively so. With our average temps, you'll maybe load every few hours. And when it's cranking it will put out the heat.

But if you want simple, long heat, here in the NW with NW wood, consider the Spectrum. It's a great stove with exceptional burn times and offers end loading. The Castine is pretty much limited to sideways (east/west) loading of the logs.

BeGreen said:
Some friends, go for a guy when he's offline....

I've already put in my two cents in the other thread. Remember, I was the one that suggested he take a look at the PE before deciding. I like the Spectrum Classic a lot. I like the Castine too. It is a pretty stove and will work fine. You will load it a little more often, but not obsessively so. With our average temps, you'll maybe load every few hours. And when it's cranking it will put out the heat.

But if you want simple, long heat, here in the NW with NW wood, consider the Spectrum. It's a great stove with exceptional burn times and offers end loading. The Castine is pretty much limited to sideways (east/west) loading of the logs.

And if you want a really pretty stove that will burn forever and loads front to back, get a 30-NC and two cans of Honey Glow Brown stove paint.

And spend the other $1,500 on taking her to dinner. A lot of times. In a lot of nice restaurants. About 75 really nice restaurants.

Well, 75 restaurants @ $16/restaurant = $1200. So maybe a good pizza place, but we have a hard time getting out of a good restaurant for less than $50 and a really good one for less than a $100.

My thread is headed south :lol: I just went on line to see the 30 NCL. Can I paint it white? Don't think it would make a very attractive bookshelf during the off season. But the $$ are enticing. The bride wasn't too impressed with the looks of the PE and I don't think I have any chance with the NCL.

I should have also asked about venting. I have 37" from floor to the top of my fireplace opening. Does that affect either stove? Is it best to try and keep the stove outside the opening? Would I use a 45 to get the PE pipe into the chimney?

Tell you what, how about you all come over - you can see the set up - we'll make a decision - and I'll take you all forfor dinner :)

Bart was just joking, with the 30 NCL you'd be heating my house along with your's . But the smaller Englander would work as would a Napoleon. But if a rear exit stove makes your life easier (and has the wife appeal) then the Castine would be fine for you.

Its hard to base a stove off of looks and just what the better half wants for looks. I say get the best looking stove your better half likes and then come back here next winter and we'll find you a stove the heats best for your home and then you can trade in the fancy looking furniture firebox for best applications.

************ :lol: ************ Just rib-n ya.

To get back to your question bcnu, what are you using for a liner? If flex, you may not need a 45. If rigid, then yes, you'll need a 45, probably a pair of them. If you choose a rear-vent stove then a 90 to the liner is about it.

Regarding the looks...tell the bride you will get the "pretty stove" if she promises to get up in the middle of the night to fill it.

There is no rear vent for the PE's...that may kill the spec as an opion for you. I'd find out what will work and what won't, no sense looking at stoves that will not fit your application.

I just picked up the Castine's bigger brother in the Oslo. I am heating about 1500sq ft and it is rolling along quite nicely. The wife wanted something that wouldn't look too ugly in the house and becasue of this compromise, I have a new stove sitting in the house. Even if a bit less efficeint, for lack of a better word, go for something that both of you like and the outcome will be much better. She is even the one feeding it during most of the day, so how can I complain.

BeGreen said:
Well, 75 restaurants @ $16/restaurant = $1200. So maybe a good pizza place, but we have a hard time getting out of a good restaurant for less than $50 and a really good one for less than a $100.

Late and too much wine. Missed a decimel point. Should have been 7.5 times figuring $200 a shot.

I have the Jotul Castine..wife picked it out as well but i love this stove and it heats our house easily 1920 and 1300 square feet....cold montana winters and mostly fir wood...they have been making Jotul for a long time..i really like the heritage hearthstone though...that was my choice...but i think you will be happy with what you get...but one word of advice, if the wife does not like it.,....you will hear about it forever...even if they say you decide.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.