PE Summit Insert secondary issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crepitus

Oct 24, 2017
North NJ
Hi all. I fired up the stove this week for the first time this year. The issue I am having is I dont really have any air coming out of my secondary baffle. It was working fine at the end of last season. Same wood as last year so I know its good. I read to try doubling up on the baffle gaskets which I will try by when I have it apart is there anything mechanical I can check with the secondary air control?

Is it possible that the secondary tube got plugged? Was the flue system cleaned with the baffle out but no rag stuffed into the secondary tube?

I did clean the flue but always stuff a rag in the tube. I will try to vacuum it out anyway. I usually hear the little flapper in there and now I dont.

Is there a screen in the chimney cap and did that get cleaned?
Is this a new last year Summit insert?

Is there a screen in the chimney cap and did that get cleaned?
Is this a new last year Summit insert?
There is a screen but I didn't check it this year yet. I figured the main air control works fine and lights quick so draft is good. Stove is the c model about 3 or 4 year's old

I am still struggling with this secondary issue. It seems like I'm getting no airflow from the secondary. Anyone ever have an issue with the flapper sticking closed?

I am still struggling with this secondary issue. It seems like I'm getting no airflow from the secondary. Anyone ever have an issue with the flapper sticking closed?
So now you don't hear it quietly tick ticking in response to the wind, right? How did the cap screen look?

The EBT sits under the secondary tube. There is an intake port there. I am not sure if you could take an L shaped rod and carefully poke through the hole to rock the butterfly valve. There are smaller holes in the side of the EBT that should always be admitting some secondary air. This is why I say remove and look at the cap screen. Also, have you tried adding some known dry wood to the fire like 2x4 cutoffs to verify the fire is getting hot enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: moresnow
Thanks for helping Begreen. The cap looks clean. I inspected it. I put a load of dry wood in after work and it was roaring. Shut it down in increments and temp was 650 when fully shut. I got flame's for a few minutes after and then the fire went out. I was doing exactly what you suggested after work and was poking the through the big square. Problem is I just don't know where the flapper is. How hard is it to remove the secondary airbox. I also have a new baffle I was thinking of trying.

If the flames went out, the air supply was too low. The flames should get lazier, but not out.
I think the EBT is screwed onto the base of the insert firebox which would mean removing the insert in order to access it for removal. FWIW I have never heard of this being an issue.
Another remote possibility is air leaking into the liner due to a tear or untight connection.

Were there any changes to the house since last winter? Are all upstairs windows closed?

When I crack the air open I get flame's in the front of the wood. Nothing on top. I guess my next step is inspect the liner. I have a load of good oak I am going to try for tonight's burn. I have been burning black birch up to now.

Well it seems to be my wood was the issue. I put a load in of my good 2.5 year seasoned oak and it burned great. The wood I am burning now seems very light. Thanks for your help. Sorry for wasting your time.

Well it seems to be my wood was the issue. I put a load in of my good 2.5 year seasoned oak and it burned great. The wood I am burning now seems very light. Thanks for your help. Sorry for wasting your time.
No sorry needed, that's what we are all here for, seek help & pay it forward. Birch with bark on, holds moisture for a long time.

No sorry needed, that's what we are all here for, seek help & pay it forward. Birch with bark on, holds moisture for a long time.
I actually think its too dry to the point of almost rotten. Super light like balsa wood.