PE Summit Insert Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
Hey All,

What should the stove (insert) top temp be in the Summit during a good fire. I just tried using the inferno thermometer on the top of the insert and its reading about 350 on a hot fire. This is in the creosote regios of the thermometer.

Thanks,

Bryan

That ain't hot enough for a cruising temp. Should cruise at about 550-650 then taper down.
That is front placement on face of insert just above each door corner for me.

That ain't hot enough for a cruising temp. Should cruise at about 550-650 then taper down.
That is front placement on face of insert just above each door corner for me.

What Hogz said.

My thermo is over the hinge side of the door, best reading there. Pump that puppy up !!

The reading on the top, with that air channel under it, means nothing. That insert is a lot hotter than that.

I've got the thermo at the top right (just above hinge) and the readings are 550ish... That makes more sense.
So, should I throttle down to half at 550 or go fully closed for the long haul...?
Thanks,
Bryan

How big of a load?

I run 1/3 ish and full loads depending on the time of day...
Right now I'm about 1/2 full and at 550 I closed to 1/2 throttle.

and now to closed at above 600...

So far this sounds pretty normal.

Cut the air all the way to low at about 400, then keep an eye on it. Should rise to 600-700 depending on the load, then level off, and slow decent after some time at level off.

The reading on the top, with that air channel under it, means nothing. That insert is a lot hotter than that.
Depending on which model, every one but the latest has some top of firebox plate showing behind the front top plate. Technically, you could get a reading off that area, although seems like a real PITA trying to do so.
The latest model has not gap at top, so no readings of the top on the C model.

Status
Not open for further replies.