PE Summit Insert Will it fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodScrounger

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario
Hello to all,
I’m a newbie here with a question. I have found useful information on this site so I finally decided to register.
I am replacing an old PE Super Series D insert and I am considering a new Summit LE . In reading the Summit literature regarding minimum fireplace size it gives the width at the back as 26 1/4 “ and the depth as 19” I am short an 1/8-1/4 on the width measurement at 19” . I also noticed that the actual insert measurement for the back is given at 25 1/2” wide at 17 3/4” deep. My fireplace has a measurement of 26 1/2” wide at 17 3/4” deep.
Now for the QUESTION : will it fit?? Is the difference in the factory specs provided for error margin or does the insert need 3/8” on all sides? I would appreciate experienced help on this as I don’t need $3000 mistake right now. Thanks in advance

It's tough to say without the full dimensions. Fireplace backs usually are sloped and narrower at the top. If it's within 3/8" the installer should pull out an angle grinder and chew away a little brick to make it fit. Maybe make a cardboard mockup and see how it fits.

Reactions: Wood Hunter
My fireplace has a double wall steel liner built into it. I can see this where the damper pieces are cut out.
Yours truly, is the installer so whatever trouble he makes he will also have to make right . The steel sides of the fireplace are straight up and the back sloping part was cut out previously along with the damper.
My biggest question is does the unit need a 3/8“ air space around it for some reason.

OK, this sounds like a Heatform style fireplace. The insert can touch the metal of the fireplace. Or if it pushes then insert out 3/8" past the fireplace face a filler piece can be attached to the surround edges to make it look correct.

Hurrah! My New Summit LE Insert came Monday! I got it installed this week and burning break in fires today.
I have an Auber thermometer with the eyelet terminal sensor wedged between flue adapter and appliance adapter. I also have a magnet mount thermometer right above the door on the hinge side . I’m trying to figure out real time temperatures that I want to see. I have been searching this forum and haven’t found much temperature info for where I have my sensor mounted.
Does anyone know about what temp I should set my Auber alarm at for reading stack temp at this location? Thanks