PE Summit Multiple Cracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zzyk

Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2008
schoharie county ny
Hi all! Its been awhile since I've posted here and now I have some fun and exciting problems. My Pacific Energy Summit has multiple small cracks at this point, some old and some new. This stove was purchased and installed in November 2008. The new cracks are inside the firebox in the upper back where the vertical air channel meets the horizontal piece. The old cracks appeared by the door several years ago and PE agreed to have those repaired years ago. The local dealer, however, was not helpful and did not fix anything (I was offered $50 to essentially go away and I never saw that either). I've now contacted a different dealer who indicated that PE would cover $250 for welding if I uninstall it, bring it to them (25 miles away), leave it, come back and pick it up, and reinstall it myself. Its something but doesn't seem great...

So my questions are:
Is this typical?
Can this work be done on site, maybe by a local welder?
Will this type of repair fix the stove or is it more of a band-aid?
What happened to the lifetime firebox warranty?

We heat 100% with wood (2 stoves) and would rather invest in central heat than a new stove. Was sort of hoping they would offer a big discount on a new stove, but I probably wouldn't want another PE anyway.

Thanks for all your help and support!

Attachments

• IMG_7968.JPG
    IMG_7968.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_7957.JPG
    IMG_7957.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 237
Bummer, poor dealer support sucks. 2008-2009 was when this issue showed up. It has me a little nervous as our T6 is of the same vintage, but so far all is good. The face cracks can definitely be welded on site by a competent welder. The baffle is stainless and it should be under warranty for replacement. Have you contacted PE directly about these cracks and about your dealer issues? Be polite, but firm on getting this fixed.

Thanks Begreen! Contacting PE will probably be my next move. And looking for a local welder (I know nothing about welding). The first dealer is no longer listed as a dealer. The one I'm working with now has been responsive, but transporting the stove to them seems like a bit much if the work can be done on site. I was also planning on replacing the firebrick this year as well so I'm going to do more thorough inspection before this goes much further.

Look back to the @Hogwildz thread on welding his Summit for more info.

I've contacted PE for a warranty issue, and they directed right back to local dealer. Unfortunately. said local dealer just went out of business..

I've contacted PE for a warranty issue, and they directed right back to local dealer. Unfortunately. said local dealer just went out of business..
See if you can get in touch with Cory at PE, and explain the dealer issue with him.

See if you can get in touch with Cory at PE, and explain the dealer issue with him.

Thanks, Hogz, got in touch with PE again, and they directed me to a place in Simpsonville, SC, sounds like they are the main distribution center in the US. Customer service couldn't have been better, very fast and efficient. Had the matter handled in a couple of days. This was a few months ago.

Zzyk, I looked in my stove today and see that I was in error about the baffle. The area in question in the rear picture is not at the baffle, it's below it. I "think" this is just a metal frame which the secondary supply tube passes through. A welder could hit this area too, though it's an odd spot for a crack and I wonder if there was air leakage. Has the baffle always had a fresh gasket where it connects to the secondary tube?

I think the hardest part about getting a welder, would be getting one to do such a small job.

Zzyk, I looked in my stove today and see that I was in error about the baffle. The area in question in the rear picture is not at the baffle, it's below it. I "think" this is just a metal frame which the secondary supply tube passes through. A welder could hit this area too, though it's an odd spot for a crack and I wonder if there was air leakage. Has the baffle always had a fresh gasket where it connects to the secondary tube?

Thanks for the advice. I have new gaskets coming and will drop the baffle once they are here. Also will be pulling and replacing the firebrick. Still negotiating with the dealer about repairs. Tempted to pull the stove and replace it with my quadrafire anyway as that one seems to burn longer and hotter. Keep the Summit as the secondary.

I'm not sure which dealer you've been talking to. The guy in Johnstown seems miles above the guy in Schenectady. I know there is a shop in Mayfield, but haven't spoken to that guy so I can't comment on him.

I wouldn't recommend the guy in Schenectady.