PE Vista insert not heating well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnedupgood

Jan 21, 2016
Merrickville ON
Edit: Is that possibly a PE Summit insert? Kinda looks like one. Or maybe the Vista:

That is a PE Vista. I had one installed 3 weeks ago. I live in Canada and have been using it steadily with well-aged oak and maple (9-10% moisture), and following installer given fire-burning guidelines (though I'm not a newby with fires or inserts), and with an outside temperature of as warm as 0 degrees C, this insert cannot even heat the 200 square foot living room it is in to above 22 C (70 F). The fire starts easily and burns readily, but with fan on an a good burn for hours it just doesn't put enough heat out into the room...my room thermometer is but 12 feet away from the insert, and the highest it has gone is 69 F! (I had hoped and expected to be blown out of the room by wood heat). Last week when it was -10 C out (12 F) the living room did not warm up above 66 degrees! Forget about heating anything more than a small cubicle with this insert. DO NOT expect to heat a house with this unit let alone just your living room. Also, the firebox is smaller than you might expect - go and see one before buying - and the glass window is ridiculously small, smallest out there I think.
Overall, a fire burns well in this box, but in terms of heat delivery it is a very disappointing unit indeed. Also, the combustion air control lever design is flawed: when you slide the lever to the right to get a slow burn the lever hits the fan motor housing inside the fan box before it gets to its full slow burn position; this prevents the fullest closing of the combustion air passage, so - at least on mine - I can't get to that ultra-slow liquid-flame burn position. I have been directed by the company to "put some metal tape over the hole"...Really??? Unfortunately it is the only insert that would fit into my small existing masonry fireplace but I would NOT recommend it except to heat a very small space. Ergo my moniker "BurnedUpGood".

Last edited by a moderator:
this insert cannot even heat the 200 square foot living room it is in to above 22 C (70 F). The fire starts easily and burns readily, but with fan on an a good burn for hours it just doesn't put enough heat out into the room
You should start your own thread on this with pics if possible. Your trouble may be fixable.

I agree with Jatoxico your trouble may be fixable. I suspect the op wood is not seasoned thats where I would start get a moister meter and get some readings and go from there. I have a Quadrafire 2700i and it has a smaller firebox 1.8 cubit feet and i heat my 1450 sq. ft home open concept with it, now granted i dont get long burn times maybe 5-6 hrs top but i can get and keep my bedroom around 68-72 at the other end of the house depending on the weather and my home was built in 62 so not great insulation either. seasoned wood has a lot to do with how any epa stove will work. If you get the info the other members are asking for they can help you get this figured out. I hope you stick it out and get this thing burning properly.

Moved to a new thread. Tell use more about the area being heated and the fireplace. Is this an exterior wall fireplace? Was a block-off plate installed?

It could be that the heat loss of the area exceeds the output of the stove. This could be due to a number of factors like ceiling height, insulation, leakage, a nearby stairwell, large openings to the rest of the house. How many sq ft in the house? What a the ceiling heights?

Status
Not open for further replies.