Peep Hole(for EKO)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrobertson

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2007
West Michigan
Has anyone thought about putting in a peep hole in the bottom door to view the gasification chamber? If I remember correctly the Tarm has one. I find myself "peeping" to often (maybe therapy would help) and it would be just plain cool to be able to look in without opening the door.

My tarm peephole was practically opaque with soot after 1 week. I open the door to take a peek.

free75degrees said:
My tarm peephole was practically opaque with soot after 1 week. I open the door to take a peek.

I was wondering about that - just like glass doors on a wood furnace but allot harder to clean.

I like opening the door. You get to hear the flames roar and see the flame in all its glory. After one season, it's still pretty satisfying.

sdrobertson

When I built my gasifire I put a peep hole in the bottom so that I could look at the flame and it is cool. I clean the glass 2 or 3 times a week. I also put a peep hole in the fire box, that did not work good at all. It would film up in 10 min.
The peep hole in the bottom lets you see the flame as it is. When you open the door to look at the flame it adds air, and the flame changes. I still like to open the door to hear the roar.

Marcus

That's a good point about the influx of air affecting the flame. Now I'm wondering what it looks like with the door closed!

Eric
With the door closed the flame is blue.
With the door open it changes to mostly yellow, some blue.
Getting the primary air and secondary air set for a good burn is easier with the peep hole.
Marcus

Eric Johnson said:
That's a good point about the influx of air affecting the flame. Now I'm wondering what it looks like with the door closed!
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applied to gasification

free75degrees said:
Eric Johnson said:
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applied to gasification

I've always had a fondness for the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and its unusual combined mix of common sense and transcendantly existential funkiness. the fact that someone would bring it up here confirms what I already knew- which is that this place is full of a lot of smart people with a fun outlook on the universe

And by the way, especially in light of the realization hit upon here, which is that you can't open the lower door without changing what is going on inside, I, as an Econoburn owner, would also like to someday (after my install is done and otherwise running well...) (and as usual, things take longer than anticipated and it is harder than anticipated to find available time to do them) put an observation function in my Econoburn 150 so as to be able to "tune" it--

While I have not yet seen an EKO in the flesh, from studying the designs and literature, the Econoburn seems to have more than a little bit of "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery" going on with some of the design of the doors, etc., in comparison to the EKO. But the Econoburn's doors seem to have a heavy refractory lining and a sort of "blast plate" on the inside edge, so that I'm losing y'all on the concept of how one could fit any kind of window. Can anyone shed any light on the details of how Tarm does it, or how you'd adapt it in without compromising the thermal/ structural integrity of the door?

thanks

I think that sounds like a wonderful idea and have thought about it myself for a while. Knowing that any peephole installed would cloud up very quickly and need to be cleaned constantly, I have been wondering if maybe making a sliding shield over the inside of the glass would help.Then you could just slide the shield away from the inside of the glass to view the fire and then close it again so the glass stays clean? kinda work like a shutter on a camera with a little lever on the outside to articulate the shield. What ya think?

Tarm has a bored or formed circular hole through the refractory, same size hole cut through the steel on the door, a welded male pipe fitting (straight thread, not tapered) on the outside of the door, and a piece like a pipe cap with part of the center cut out which hand screws onto the male fitting. A gasket fits into the inside of the cap, then the glass, then another gasket, then screw onto the fitting.

The gasket towards the gasification chamber will gradually burn out, but you can easily make replacements from heavy fiber gasket material bought from an auto parts shop. The glass commonly gets coated with creosote, which happens most frequently during the early part of the burn and before gasification is in full operation. Unburned gases condense on the glass. The glass is easy to clean with a rag and a bit of lacquer thinner. And occasionally a light rub with some very fine emery paper does the trick.

NOW - I'm concerned that the mere act of looking through the glass changes the appearance of the gasification taking place. Photon disruption from observation is a well known scientific principle, which lead to the Observed Phenomenon Obscurity Law of Physics.

jebatty said:
Tarm has a bored or formed circular hole through the refractory, same size hole cut through the steel on the door, a welded male pipe fitting (straight thread, not tapered) on the outside of the door, and a piece like a pipe cap with part of the center cut out which hand screws onto the male fitting. A gasket fits into the inside of the cap, then the glass, then another gasket, then screw onto the fitting.

The gasket towards the gasification chamber will gradually burn out, but you can easily make replacements from heavy fiber gasket material bought from an auto parts shop. The glass commonly gets coated with creosote, which happens most frequently during the early part of the burn and before gasification is in full operation. Unburned gases condense on the glass. The glass is easy to clean with a rag and a bit of lacquer thinner. And occasionally a light rub with some very fine emery paper does the trick.

NOW - I'm concerned that the mere act of looking through the glass changes the appearance of the gasification taking place. Photon disruption from observation is a well known scientific principle, which lead to the Observed Phenomenon Obscurity Law of Physics.

Jim- if/ when you have a moment, any chance you could take and post some photos of this arrangement from a couple of different vantage points on both inside and outside? Thanks

If you sneak up on it, Jim, I don't think the flame will be affected.

jebatty said:

This was another thing I was thinking about. I have been trying to find Tarm parts online to see if I could order and then adapt their peep hole and I have had no luck. Does anyone have a line on where to start?

if/ when you have a moment, any chance you could take and post some photos of this arrangement from a couple of different vantage points on both inside and outside?

will do

jebatty said:

Oh NO! Does this mean I have to wear waders the next time I split wood or just when I load the EKO and try to peek at the gasification process. And the way y'all talk so casual like I'm near appalled. It may be an Obscure Physical Law but I ain't sure I want nobody observin' my Photon disruption. Why that ain't science that's just plain gawkin'. I think we're going to need more than an eye piece. More like a face plate and a snorkel. Land sakes break out the paddles or we'll never get out the way in time. :wow:

Would it require a special glass other than pyrex?

FYI

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 226
2nd pix - ignore the object observed in the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.