Pegged the Meter Again Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Really didn't mean to but lost track of time. When I came back down it was pegged. Wish I had put the IR on to see just how hot it was. Good thing my stove pipe anamoly kept me safe. Stove pipe temp was only 400 degree 18" above stove. Man I like that efficiency.

Well, "DUH"...............I'll be the first to call you "stupid".................hope that makes you feel better!!!! Just saying, of course!!

Really didn't mean to but lost track of time. When I came back down it was pegged. Wish I had put the IR on to see just how hot it was. Good thing my stove pipe anamoly kept me safe. Stove pipe temp was only 400 degree 18" above stove. Man I like that efficiency.
What can that clean air elm take, can't it take a higher stovetop temps than most woodstoves.

zap

What can that clean air elm take, can't it take a higher stovetop temps than most woodstoves.

zap
First time it happened (900+) I called Steve and he said not to worry. He has tested the Elm to way above that. I saw a pick somewhere with the barrel cherry red. My guess is a 1/4" thick barrel could take it repeatedly without harm. The only weld is on the bottom of the barrel under the firebrick so no problem there. About the only part that would take a beating is the baffle and it still looks the same. I will say this is the first stove I've owned to not not show ill effects from over temping. For all I know it wasn't over temped anyway.

I watched a video of him doing a rebuild, he mentioned how they could take higher temps compared to most stoves. Great looking stove.

zap

Reactions: pen
A cheap kitchen timer may be in order.

I had a truck at one point that red lined at 5200 rpm. One night I decided to keep pace w/ a buddy who was behind me and gaining fast and somehow when shifting from 2nd to 3rd I found 1st gear at around 50mph. The truck screamed as I about split my chin on the steering wheel. The tach hit nearly 8k before I could put the clutch back down. Shut the truck down, inspected things over, fired her back up, and sold the same vehicle w/ 192k miles on it years later. Saw it almost 5 years later when putting the for sale sign in the next truck.

It's one of those things none of us want to do, nor should we do, but we often get lucky if it only happens on occasion. Just remember, running things too fast/hard and getting away with it is just that, luck.

pen

I want wk to fire that sucker to the point we know when it splits down the middle. ;lol

Don't feel to bad my liberty toped out at 840 after a full load for the night with the fan on low and the air open just a crack. Shut the air completely and let it cool to 760 now going to bed in an 86 degree house. Glad I like it hot!!

I wasn't familiar with the Elm, but just checked out some pictures - I love the design- it appears to be bombproof. Do you think it's more susceptible to overfire temperatures since there's less surface area to radiate heat compared a more conventional box shape?

I wasn't familiar with the Elm, but just checked out some pictures - I love the design- it appears to be bombproof. Do you think it's more susceptible to overfire temperatures since there's less surface area to radiate heat compared a more conventional box shape?
Actually its about double the size of most wood stoves on the market today so I would say there is more radiant area. The 36" model has over 6cuft firebox. Mine 5.6cuft. And I think its actually less susceptible to overfires since the primary will fully shut down. My old Magnolia was a constant hazard with no way to kill it. Like most EPA stoves it was made so you couldn't shut down the air all the way and I had frequent overfires that I couldn't control. This last episode was just me putting in a new load, opening up the throttle plate and walking away.

I want wk to fire that sucker to the point we know when it splits down the middle. ;lol
Without putting on a blower to force air in the primary like a blast furnace I doubt it could be fired to that point hehehehe;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.