Pegged the thermometer for the first time this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
I was sitting on the couch reading hearth.com forms and I noticed the secondary's where firing pretty heavy but was to lazy to get up and check the temp. By the time I convinced myself I needed to get up and check the thermometer was pegged. It was hot enough to make the air wash glow. Turned the fan on and it settled down to 700. I don't panic anymore. It usually happens a handful of times each year. What worries me is how many times it happens that I don't know about_g

Seeing this reminded me to check mine...it was rolling. I had done the first cutback but not the final. It needed it:cool:

I have a stove pipe thermo on my setup. I can tell how my fire is going by a few things: thermo temp on my probe, pings and tings from the stove and the look of the isnide of the firebox.

That being said, normally every single year I have a "hrmm...that's the smell of curing paint from my stove pipe" and realize that I forgot the door open 1/2 inch, etc. Don't leave your initial light off until you're cruising...the instant sweaty palms are not fun. lol

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.