Pellet bin feed issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortalis

Nov 15, 2014
Southern Mass
Hello all,

New contributor, new pellet stove owner. I replaced an aging Chubby coal stove with an Englander PVD 25 this year (2014). I had a well recommended local installer install the unit and it seems to work just fine with one exception.

I am using Energex pellets and find that they do not feed evenly from the bin to the auger once the center region of the bin has become "empty". The outer edges are sitting there without sifting down to the auger.

Is this a common issue? How can I resolve this issue? The stove will stop firing in the middle of the night because the pellerts stop feeding into the firebox.

Thanks in qadvance for any input.

If you coat the hopper with graphite it should help.

I also got into the habit of leveling out the pellets in the hopper whenever I walk by and topping it off just before bed.

Welcome to the forum - I just tend to have a piece of doweling to help them along. I found this occurs more often when I use trebio pellets... they would leave a void in the hopper and stop feeding even when the bin appeared to be relatively full. An occasional stir with the doweling and you can see the pellets settle. I tend to prefer softwood pellets and this does not seem to happen with them. YMMV (your mileage may vary!)

Hope you have surge protection on your new stove ... We like pics;lol

Thanks Tim, thanks LakeGirl
We had our electrical upgraded a couple years ago and had a whole house surge protector installed.
Pellet bin feed issues

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.