Pellet Brands in Northern Wisconsin. Your Thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wi Thundercat

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2009
NW Wisconsin
Last year i burnt the indeck pellets made in ladysmith,wi and they seemed to be a good pellet compared to the brands i have been trying on these cool nights and this is what i have found ! Bought a couple of bags of lumberjack premiums at a local feedmill and was told by the fellow that put them in my truck that they were pretty good pellets as he used them last year to heat his home, BUT said the ones they are making now are really good as there track record wasn't the best at start up! So on my way home i stopped in at the hayward,wi plant and said i would like to buy some fresh pellets to try out and they set me up with some. These pellets were IMO a very good pellet, good heat and not alot of ash. The other two bags from feedmill not so good ( lots of ash and lower temps from stove). Would buy their pellets if i could be sure when they were made as they have no date stamp on their bags and they had alot of pallets sitting there waiting to be shipped out to dealers! Who knows when they were made! Have pennywise pellets by marth in the stove now and i am not impressed at all! Very ashy and low heat! Would like to try some other brands but not sure what else us available in this area. Any suggestions on some other brands to try ? Willing to travel to pick some up ! Thanks for your thoughts on this !!!!!

The lumber jack pellet now when they come in have a lable on the skid with the date they were made. The last load that I got in they started doing that. These pellets are hotter and have less ash I have been burning them for the last week. So find a dealer selling these and look for the lable. Jeff

Thanks Jeff ! This is good to know info! ;-)

I am from Iowa and have tried many different brands over the past 5 years. This year my dealer is selling the In Deck brand. I bought a ton of In Deck and must say they have high heat output and seem to have a lot less ash and fines. Why not buy the In Deck?

Marth products have gone way down hill in quality. They suck. Here are some brands I have tried in the past that I like and would buy again.

1) Blazer
2) Fuel King
3) White Lighting
4) In deck
5) Eureka (not bad, but not great)

Pellet Brands I would not buy again:
1) OHP
2) Marth
3) Penny Wise

I have tried maybe 5 or 6 other brands, but can't recal the name.

I called my dealer this morning wondering if I could get another ton of In Deck. He has them at $199.00 a ton. Not a bad price. I will probably buy another ton of In Deck.

Hey thz123 ! Thanks for the reply ! I bought a ton of the indeck pellets last feb. for 175.00 and still have about 20 bags left. They seem to be the best out of the brands i have tried so far. Just thought i would see what the forum members had to say for other brands in this area. Will probably go with the indecks for 190.00 unless i hear about some others on here. Anyone else have an opinion, would like to hear from you ! Scott

There has to be more than two pellet burners in this area! Krooser must be on the road again!!!

where exactly are ya ?
I'm in northeast WI kinda.
where ya buyin yer pellets from ?

I am around the hayward area. Bought the indecks at menards last feb. Thought they were a good pellet. This year they are selling them and the pennywise by marth, tried a some of the marth and wasn't impressed. lots of ash and low heat! Most sellers of pellets around here that i know of are selling the lumberjack brand pellets as they are made in hayward. Just wondered what else folks burn for pellets and where to find them. Have truck and trailer, will travel! Love a road trip!!! Thanks Scott p.s. I learned about the date stamp on the lumberjacks from R-heating, so might buy a ton if i find some recently made.

Where did you go Smoke Show ? :roll:

Wi Thundercat said:
There has to be more than two pellet burners in this area! Krooser must be on the road again!!!
In arkkansas to be exact

Hey Krooser! Whats on your pellet menu for this season?

Wi Thundercat said:
Where did you go Smoke Show ? :roll:

holy chit hayward ! thats pretty much canada eh ?
I'm way down by Green Bay.
Lumberjacks should be cheap being made right there.
Uncle Jeds seem to be an upper end pellet at a middle of the road price.
although the closest dealer looks to be a couple hours away.
http://pellethead.com/LocalDealer.htm

Thanks for getting back to me Smoke! Checked out the link you gave and found there is an earth sense energy store down the road in ricelake. Selling uncle jeds and a pellet from bear mt. Going to take a run down and pick up a few bags of each to try out! Thanks again for the info!!!! Take Care, Scott

bad thing about that place is if ur not a stove customer of theirs pellets cost a bit more.
at least down here anyway.
oh yeah bear mtn pretty much the best money can buy.

Quoted me $253.00 for uncle jeds and $306.00 for bear mtn.
He said they will be getting another pellet blended with cedar in soon that in between these two in price.
Are you a stove customer of theirs?
What is the member price down there? Thanks

Was just looking at the ultimate pellet search post by j-takeman and he says these two pellets are one in the same. If this is true, they must be charging more for the bear mtn. name. Anybody??? :bug:

Wi Thundercat said:
Was just looking at the ultimate pellet search post by j-takeman and he says these two pellets are one in the same. If this is true, they must be charging more for the bear mtn. name. Anybody??? :bug:
Bears and jeds are different... uj soft are pine/fir mix while bears are fir...

krooser said:
Wi Thundercat said:

Uncle Jeds has a rebagged Bear Mountain fir pellet. Uncle Jeds Pine is also a rebagged pellet from BC. They buy in bulk and put them in there own bags. Uncle Jeds does not mill pellets on there own. FYI

Wi Thundercat said:
Quoted me $253.00 for uncle jeds and $306.00 for bear mtn.
He said they will be getting another pellet blended with cedar in soon that in between these two in price.
Are you a stove customer of theirs?
What is the member price down there? Thanks
yes I am
price is substantially less
jeds is pine or fir
bear mtn is fir
I'm sure you can do better than that elsewhere ?

j-takeman said:
krooser said:
Wi Thundercat said:

Uncle Jeds has a rebagged Bear Mountain fir pellet. Uncle Jeds Pine is also a rebagged pellet from BC. They buy in bulk and put them in there own bags. Uncle Jeds does not mill pellets on there own. FYI
No more Jeds fir pellets this year... out of bears here too.

Thanks to everyone for the replies! :)
Will have to keep looking to see what else i can find in this area.

Found some marth hardwood pellets (pellets in motion) it says on the bag. Tan bag w/brown lettering. Had never seen these before so i bought a couple bags to try. They seem to be a very good pellet, lots of heat and low ash. It looks to me they were made 09/08 according to a stamp under the upc label on back of the bag. I think this is the date code ? Seller said he hasn't sold many and to try them and if i like them to come back and he would make me a deal on a ton or more. he has 8 ton and i think he wants to move them out of his way! Any body else burnt these? What did you think of them?

yes. don't care for all the dust in the bag.
as I prefer to just dump the whole bag in the hopper.
first time i've ever been nervous about fines.
and I thought they burned all lil dirtier than the softwoods I'm used to.
but they're cheap.
my .02

Yes Smoke Show, i see what you mean about the fines in the bottom of the bag, LOTS! :eek:hh:

Status
Not open for further replies.