Pellet Burners: Please tell us what is happening to Pellet Stove Prices and the Cost Of Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know allot of dealers and pellet supplier's are liars.i don't know about the stoves.

In the northern mountains of Colorado, at altitudes where lodgepole pines grow, it is estimated that ALL lodgepoles over eight inches in diameter will be dead over the next 5 years or so. This is owing to the worst infestation of pine bark-beetles in the region's history. The State Forest Service estimates that, literally, millions of acres are involved in the die-off.

The good news is that a new hammer/pellet mill opened in Kremmling, CO last week. They take recently dead pole and dimensional timber trees for sawmilling, and they make pellets with the rest. It is claimed they will pay (marginally) for the wood you bring to them, in spite of the locally swamped market. Yet, they expect to make $ for pellets, or they would not have invested in the mill. There would be enough dead pine around here to supply the entire national demand for several years, assuming transportation costs would get/stay reasonable.

I burn lodgepole exclusively -- it's free. But I think pellet stoves are a great idea, and I'm glad to see a new pellet supplier.

Best Regards,

Dexter (Jotul Firelight CB)

i'm going wood only from now on

Status
Not open for further replies.