Pellet Burning Strategy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedude110

Feeling the Heat
Aug 12, 2011
Central Connecticut
I'm in my second year with pellets, and due to the great advice on these forums, I've built up a stash of some pretty good stuff -- to the point that I'm not sure when to burn what in my XXV. Currently I have:

1 ton McFeeter, 1 ton Turman, 1 ton Barefoot, 2 tons Vermont.

I bought the McFeeter to burn as a shoulder pellet, but I've gotten good heat from it in trial runs. The two hardwoods are high quality, but they may make more sense as a shoulder pellet than a softwood? I've learned to dislike hardwoods because they seem to leave a harder ash in my stove and make scraping the burn pot more of a chore. The plan was to burn the Vermonts in the coldest months, but I'd like to know how others would approach this.

Out of this grouping, what would be your shoulder pellet and your cold weather pellet? In what order would you burn them? I think my current plan is:

Turman-->McFeeter-->Vermont-->Barefoot.

I say bollocks to the whole shoulder-pellet thing. Get yourself a wireless programmable t-stat and burn the good stuff all the time. ;)

Reactions: seige101
burn the ones that make cleaning harder first.
that way when it's hella cold, you won't have to shut it down as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.