Pellet comparisson / summary thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeRanger

Jul 9, 2008
Norhtern VT
Hi all,
I did use the search feature, but did not find what I was looking for. I was wondering if there way a "sticky" thread where folks have posted their comments & thoughts on the pellets they use and have used.
I realize nothing will burn the same across all the different types of stoves folks have, but I thought it would be a handy reference point. Especially for us noobies :)
With the crunch going on on pellets right now a lot of folks are having to consider trying different brands of pellets. I thought it would be handy to have a "sticky-ed" thread where folks could post their experiences, likes, dis-likes etc. about what they've burned or are burning.
Is something like this possible? I saw the "prices" thread, but not a "experience" thread.
Anyone?
j

Many people have posted up their experiences and reviews
on the pellets they've used. If you do a search for the particular
brand name you should find such threads. There are so many
different pellets available now, I think one giant thread would
wind up being hundreds of pages.

Don't buy M and M Ltd. (Maine Woods) Pellets -- You'll be sorry.

Same goes for PA Pellets-----Junk

I only sell one brand of pellet so I am not out to bash other mills or brands.

Please consider that the reason most pellets burn bad is from inproper storage of pellets. Pellets start to lose their density because of moisture. The pellets can have bad storage at the mill, transportation to the distributor, or the retail location. Some pellets might be 6-8 months old before you get them. If they were stored outside it can start the breakdown of the density.

Do not judge the pellet but how they were stored.

Eric

zeta said:
Many people have posted up their experiences and reviews
on the pellets they've used. If you do a search for the particular
brand name you should find such threads. There are so many
different pellets available now, I think one giant thread would
wind up being hundreds of pages.

I realize this, but for new stove owners like myself who are not familiar w/ all the brands possible it makes searching and reading a zillion threads not very practical or enjoyable.

I also realize there are many factors, like storage as someone mentioned, that may affect a brand's "burny-ness", but that is also good information to share with others out there. By all means, let us know if it looks like your pellets were dragged along behind the UPS truck or stored in a swimming pool :)

For example, in one common, "sticky" thread w/ a clear informative title someone could read that:
With my new stove I bought a supply of Boreal pellets from my local co-op. Only knowing a little about what to look for from what I've read on here I think I made a good purchase. The pellets are a low ash, hardwood type of pellet out of Canada. They were stored at my local co-op in a locked, water/weather proof metal storage container and the pallets were stored in single levels so nothing was being crushed. Each 40lb bag was a thick, water proof bag. And yes, I looked at every single bag seeing as I was the one who had to stack and store them all. :)
The pellets appear to be a decent length w/ a few smaller, broken pieces here and there. Probably due to me loading and loading and stacking them. Very few fines in the bags I've burned so far. They seem to burn good and hot w/ a reasonable (from what I've read) amount of ash.
I honestly don't remember what I paid per ton, but I think it was around $225. Which is of course moot at this point b/c everything is going up.
Anyway, if others would like to add their experiences w/ brands of pellets I'm sure others would like a single organize resource to browse through.
j

kinsman stoves said:
I only sell one brand of pellet so I am not out to bash other mills or brands.

Please consider that the reason most pellets burn bad is from inproper storage of pellets. Pellets start to lose their density because of moisture. The pellets can have bad storage at the mill, transportation to the distributor, or the retail location. Some pellets might be 6-8 months old before you get them. If they were stored outside it can start the breakdown of the density.

Do not judge the pellet but how they were stored.

Eric

Eric,

I have 2 sources of pellets that are across the street from each other. I have been paying a little more ( @12.00 more) at TSC because they keep theirs inside. Across the street they have the same brand but they store theirs outside(not under a shed either) Do you think I am just being paranoid, or is it wise in your opinion to buy the one stored inside and pay the difference?

If you know you are getting them right off the truck or with in a day or so it should not be a problem, save the cash. A major factor is where they came from before they got to the retail location. Some mills do store their pellets outside.

Eric

I'd pay the extra $12 for ones stored inside - it's a quarter a bag. If they were at least covered by a shed I might (but probably wouldn't) be willing to take a shot on the outside ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.